Final Score: VCU 12, Norfolk State 4
Location: Norfolk, Va. (Marty L. Miller Field)
Records: VCU (33-16, 13-5 A-10), Fordham (22-22, 17-7 MEAC)
The Short Story: Rams dominate Spartans 12-4 behind a dominant offensive performance on Wednesday. VCU piled up 12 hits in the victory.
- Liam Hibbits led the way for the Rams offensively, posting two hits in four at-bats, three RBIs, one run scored, and one homerun for the Rams
- Andrew Puglielli added two hits, one run scored, two RBIs and one homerun on Wednesday
- Steven Carpenter and Zac Ching combined for four hits, four runs scored, and three RBIs in the win
- Danny Watson picked up his fifth win of the season, striking out four batters along the way
- The Rams bullpen totaled fourteen strikeouts vs Norfolk State
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Norfolk State scored the first run of the game in the bottom of the first to take an early 1-0 lead.
- Puglielli's 2-run homerun in the top of the second gave VCU a lead they would never relinquish. Ching and Hibbits also posted RBIs in the inning to bring the score to 4-1 heading into the bottom of the second.
- The Spartans trimmed VCU's lead to 4-3 after scoring two runs in the bottom of the fourth.
- Carpenter extended the Rams lead to 6-3 in the top of the fifth after his RBI single to left field plated Paul Witt and Brandon Henson.
- VCU pushed their lead to 9-3 in the top of the sixth on RBIs from Ching and Witt.
- After Hogan Brown scored in the top of the seventh to extend the Rams lead, Liam Hibbits 2-run shot to center pushed VCU on top 12-3 heading into the bottom half of the inning.
- Norfolk State scored their final run in the bottom of the seventh to cut VCU's lead to 12-4.
VCU will be back in action on Friday, May 10, for Game One of their weekend series with A-10 for St. Joseph's. That matchup is slated for 3:00 p.m., in Philadelphia, Pa.