Final Score: Maryland 10, VCU 5
Location: Richmond, Va. (Pitt Field)
Records: VCU (28-13), Maryland (20-21)
The Short Story: Maryland defeated VCU 10-5 on Tuesday to hand the Rams back-to-back losses for just the third time this season.
- Brett Norwood led the way for the Rams offensively, posting one hit, two runs scored, one RBI and his fourth homerun of the season.
- Paul Witt provided one hit and one run scored, while driving in another run on Tuesday
- Liam Hibbits and Zac Ching combined for three hits, one run scored and two RBIs for the Rams
- The Rams bullpen totaled six strikeouts vs Maryland
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Brett Norwood scored the games opening run when he homered to right center in his first at-bat. The play put VCU on top 1-0 early.
- Maryland tied the game at 1-1 in the bottom of the first after M. Costes's RBI scored R. Bednar.
- The Terrapins scored four runs in the bottom of the second to take a 5-1 lead.
- The Rams stormed back in the top of the third after RBIs from Zac Ching, Paul Witt and Hogan Brown respectively, plated Tomas Sanchez, Brett Norwood and Ching. The plays cut Maryland's lead to 5-4 heading into the fourth inning.
- Maryland extended their lead to 8-4 in the bottom of the fourth after scoring three runs.
- The Terrapins took a 9-4 lead in the bottom of the fifth on B. Cowles homerun.
- Liam Hibbits RBI single up the middle plated Paul Witt and trimmed the Terrapins lead to 9-5 in the top of the seventh.
- Maryland pushed their lead to 10-5 in the bottom of the seventh after Cowles scored on Lee's RBI.
VCU will be back in action on Friday, April 26, for Game One of their weekend series with Atlantic 10 foe George Washington. That matchup is slated for 6:30 p.m. at the Diamond in Richmond, Va.