Final Score: VCU 3, Fordham 0
Location: Richmond, Va. (The Diamond)
Records: VCU (26-8, 9-1 A-10), Fordham (21-14, 6-4 A-10)
The Short Story: VCU shutout Fordham 3-0 on Friday, retiring 16 consecutive batters to close out the game. The win marked the Rams ninth victory in conference play on the season.
- Liam Hibbits led the way for the Rams offensively, posting two hits in three at-bats, one run scored, and one RBI on Friday
- Hogan Brown added two hits, and one run scored for the Rams
- Alex Taylor and Josh Simon combined to post two hits and two RBIs in the win
- Justin Sorokowski earned his second win of the season, tossing six strikeouts while allowing just two hits in five innings.
- Ben Dum picked up his second save on the year, pitching a no-hitter with five strikeouts in four innings of work.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- VCU scored the opening run of the game in the bottom of the first, after Hibbits RBI single drove Brown home.
- The Rams defense, led by Sorokowski, shut Fordham down in the opening five innings, allowing no runs and just two hits.
- VCU went up 3-0 in the bottom of the sixth on Alex Taylor's RBI double to right center. Paul Witt and Hibbits scored runs on the play to extend the Rams lead.
- Led by Dum, the Rams defense held Fordham scoreless in the sixth through eighth innings to maintain a 3-0 lead.
- Dum struck out two of the final three batters to help VCU retire 16 consecutive batters to secure the win.
VCU will be back in action tomorrow, April 13, for Game Two of their weekend series with A-10 foe Fordham. That matchup is slated for 2 p.m., at The Diamond in Richmond, Va.