Final Score: VCU 11, La Salle 2
Location: Philadelphia, Pa. (Hank DeVincent Field)
Records: VCU (23-7, 6-1 A-10), La Salle (15-15, 1-6 A-10)
The Short Story: VCU won their fourth consecutive game on Friday behind a strong performance throughout the game, including a five-run seventh inning. The win also marked the Rams ninth victory in their last ten outings.
- Brandon Henson led the way for the Rams offensively, posting two hits, one run scored, a team-leading four RBIs and his second homerun of the season
- Hogan Brown provided three hits, one RBI and two runs scored vs La Salle
- Zac Ching and Paul Witt combined to post four hits, four RBIs and two runs scored on Wednesday
- Jack Alkire earned his fifth win of the season, while the Rams bullpen struck out fifteen batters in the win.
- The Rams totaled 11 hits on Friday
HOW IT HAPPENED
- La Salle scored the first run of the game in the bottom of the first after P. Sorrels homered to left. The play put the Explorers up 1-0 early.
- VCU's defense, led by Connor Gillispie, held La Salle scoreless in the second through fourth innings to keep the game close.
- The Rams tied the game in the top of the sixth, after Hibbits scored on Henson's RBI single. The play knotted the game up at 1-1.
- Alkire led the Rams defense to four straight scoreless innings in the fifth through eighth innings, striking out seven batters along the way.
- VCU got the bats going in the top of the seventh, scoring five runs in the inning. Paul Witt got things started after his RBI double down the left field line allowed Hogan Brown and Zac Ching to score. Moments later, Brandon Henson hit his second homerun of the season – a 3-run shot to left center that scored Brett Norwood and Paul Witt respectively. Heading into the bottom half of the seventh, VCU led 6-1.
- Hunter Vay, Alex Taylor and Hogan Brown each scored in the top of the eighth to extend VCU's lead to 9-1.
- Ching's RBI double to left in the top of the ninth pushed VCU's lead to 11-1. Logan Amiss and Steven Carpenter scored the runs on the play.
- La Salle scored their second run of the day in the bottom of the ninth to trim VCU's lead to 11-2.
VCU will be back in action tomorrow, for Game Two of their weekend series with Atlantic 10 foe, La Salle. That matchup is slated for 1 p.m., at Hank DeVincent Field in Philadelphia, Pa.