Final Score: VCU 7, Davidson 3
Location: Richmond, Va. (The Diamond)
Records: VCU (20-7, 4-1 A-10), Davison (14-8, 4-1 A-10)
The Short Story: Liam Hibbits' 3-run RBI propels Rams past Davidson 7-3. The win tied the weekend series and pushed VCU to 4-1 in conference play.
- Hibbits led the way for the Rams offensively, posting two hits in four at-bats to go along with three RBIs
- Zac Ching and Brett Norwood combined to post three hits, two runs scored and two RBIs on Saturday
- Hogan Brown chipped in two hits and two runs scored for the Rams
- Jack Alkire earned his fourth win of the season, while Sam Ryan picked up his third save. The Rams bullpen struck out ten batters in the win
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Hogan Brown scored the games opening run in the bottom of the first on a throwing error by the Davidson catcher.
- Davidson tied the game at 1-1 in the top of the second, after M. Bazin scored on Candelaria's RBI single.
- The Wildcats took a 2-1 lead in the top of the third on a score by E. Jones. J. Lebek was credited with the RBI on the play.
- Davidson extended their lead to 3-1 in the top of the fifth after E. Jones scored on a wild pitch.
- VCU retook the lead in the bottom of the sixth after Hibbits three-run double to left field allowed Ching, Norwood and Witt to score. The play put the Rams on top 4-3 heading into the seventh.
- The Rams extended their lead to 7-3 in the bottom of the seventh on scores by Carpenter, Vay and Brown respectively. Taylor, Ching and Norwood earned RBIs in the process.
- VCU's defense, led by Sam Ryan, shut down the Wildcats in the seventh through ninth innings, allowing no runs to score to secure a 7-3 win.
VCU will be back in action tomorrow, March 31, for the final game of their weekend series with A-10 opponent Davidson. That matchup is slated for 1 p.m., at The Diamond in Richmond, Va.