Final Score: VCU 2, Cornell 0 – Game One ; VCU 9, Cornell 3 – Game Two
Location: Richmond, Va. (The Diamond)
Records: VCU 8-3, Cornell 0-6
LEADING OFF (Game One)
- Liam Hibbits led the way for the Rams, posting one hit in two at-bats to go along with two RBIs
- Paul Witt and Brett Norwood combined for three hits in seven at-bats and two runs scored for the Rams
- Matt Stallings provided two hits in three at-bats from the DH position
- The Rams bullpen totaled 12 strikeouts, while only surrendering one hit
- VCU totaled eight hits in Game One of Saturday's doubleheader
HOW IT HAPPENED (Game One)
- Connor Gillispie started the game on fire for VCU, striking out three of the four batters he faced in the top of the first inning.
- After three quick VCU outs, the Rams were able to get on the board first when Hibbits' double to left center drove home Paul Witt. The play put VCU on top 1-0 heading into the third inning.
- Dum took the mound in relief of Gillispie in the fourth inning, and proceeded to retire the side in the fourth and fifth innings.
- In the top of the sixth, with the Rams leading 1-0, Dum struck out the side to bring VCU back up to bat in the bottom half of the inning.
- Hibbits sacrifice fly in the bottom of the sixth extended VCU's lead to 2-0 after Brett Norwood scored. Hibbits was credited with his second RBI of the game on the play.
- The Rams closed the game out strong, not allowing a single hit in the seventh, eighth, or ninth innings.
LEADING OFF (Game Two)
- Zac Ching led the way for the Rams, posting two hits in four at-bats and a team-leading three runs scored
- Paul Witt and Liam Hibbits combined for three hits, two runs scored and five RBIs vs Cornell
- Hogan Brown recorded two hits and two runs scored in Game Two of the doubleheader
- Steven Carpenter and Brett Norwood provided a combined three hits, one run scored, and one RBI on Saturday
- The Rams bullpen totaled seven strikeouts, while only surrendering two hits
- VCU totaled eleven hits in Game Two of Saturday's double header
HOW IT HAPPENED (Game Two)
- Hogan Brown scored the games opening run to put VCU on top 1-0 in the bottom of the first inning.
- Cornell took their first lead of the weekend in the top of the second, after Binnie's RBI double to right center drove home three runs. The play put the Big Red up 3-1 heading into the bottom half of the inning.
- VCU retook the lead for good in the bottom of the third inning. Witt's double down the left field line allowed Brown and Sanchez to score to tie the game at 3-3. A few moments later, Hibbits singled up the middle to drive home both Witt and Ching. Sanchez extended the Rams lead to 7-3 with his RBI double to score both Carpenter and Hibbits.
- Hibbits was credited with another RBI in the bottom of the fourth after driving home Ching to extend the Rams lead to 8-3.
- Cornell couldn't gain any momentum on VCU's lead as Alkire lead the Rams defense to back to back three up, three down innings in the top of the fifth and sixth. Alkire struck out three batters in those innings.
- After entering the game for Alkire, Danny Watson didn't miss a beat and led VCU to back to back three up, three down innings in the seventh and eighth innings as well.
- Brett Norwood pushed the Rams lead to 9-3 after his RBI single to left field allow Ching to score on the play.
- VCU only allowed one hit in the ninth inning to close out the 9-3 win.
VCU will be back in action on Wednesday, March 6, when they travel to VMI to take on the Keydets. That matchup is currently scheduled for 3 p.m.