Final Score: VCU 11, UNC 8
Location: Cary C. Boshamer Stadium (Chapel Hill, N.C.)
Records: VCU 5-3, UNC 8-1
The Short Story: VCU uses 5-run sixth inning to stun No. 6 North Carolina 11-8. The Rams win on Wednesday ended the Tarheels 26-game home winning-streak.
- Hogan Brown led the way for the Rams posting four hits in five at-bats, in addition to 3 runs scored and 2 RBIs.
- Hunter Vay provided two hits, including a 3-run homerun, scored two runs and added 3 RBIs for the Rams
- Liam Hibbits recorded two hits, two RBIs, and one run scored on Wednesday
- Paul Witt and Zac Ching combined for three hits, two runs scored and two RBIs vs the Tarheels
- The Rams bullpen totaled six strikeouts, while Evan Chenier picked up his second win of the season in today's contest
- VCU totaled 12 hits in Wednesday's win
HOW IT HAPPENED
- VCU scored the games first run in the top of the third inning when Hogan Brown's double to left field allowed Alex Taylor to score. Brown scored on the next play after Zac Ching doubled off the right field wall to put the Rams on top 2-0.
- UNC took their first lead of the game in the bottom of the third after Michael Busch's 3-run homerun put the Tarheels up 3-2 heading into the top of the fourth.
- Hunter Vay's first homerun of the season allowed VCU to retake the in the top of the fourth. The 3-run shot allowed both Paul Witt and Liam Hibbits to score, and gave the Rams a 5-3 lead.
- UNC trimmed VCU's lead to 5-4 in the bottom of the fourth on Casparius's RBI double to right. McGee scored the Tarheels run on the play.
- In the bottom of the fifth inning, the Tarheels were able to retake the lead on runs by Martorano, Busch and Roberts respectively. UNC lead VCU 7-5 heading into the top of the sixth.
- The Rams took the lead in the top of the sixth on scores by Amiss, Vay, Brown, Norwood, and Ching. The 5-run inning put VCU on top 10-7 heading into the bottom half of six.
- The Tarheels cut VCU's lead to 10-8 on a Freeman RBI heading into the top of the eighth.
- VCU extended their lead to 11-8 in the top of the eighth after Brown scored on Witt's RBI single to right.
- The Tarheels were unable to gain any ground in the ninth inning as the Rams defense held strong to maintain the 11-8 lead.
VCU returns home this Friday, March 1, for a 3 p.m. matchup with Cornell at the Diamond in Richmond, Va.