Final Score: Davidson 10, VCU 9
Location: Wilson Field (Davidson, N.C.)
Records: VCU 27-15 (10-6 A-10), Davidson 26-14 (11-5 A-10)
The Short Story: It was a whirlwind of emotion in a matchup of last season's Atlantic 10 Championship game, as the VCU Rams took on the Davidson Wildcats. After a five-run third inning as well as a 9-6 lead into the ninth, VCU would surrender four runs in the bottom of the ninth to drop to Davidson 10-9 in the opening game of the weekend.
- Steven Carpenter led the offense with the first four-hit game of the season by any Ram. He finished 4-for-5 with two RBI on the day.
- Hogan Brown added a three-hit day, going 3-for-5 with three runs scored on the ballgame.
- Haiden Lamb and Mitchel Lacey each collected two hits apiece, as Lacey scored and drove in two runs while Lamb scored two.
- Daane Berezo and Paul Witt each put up a hit and run scored, as Witt drove in two RBI and Berezo drove in one.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- With a 9-6 lead entering the ninth, VCU would surrender four runs in the ninth inning. The pair of winning runs with two outs came in on a throwing error, as the ball skipped away and a pair of runs scored to give Davidson the 10-9 win.
- Lacey hit a what would be important home run in the top of the ninth as he smacked one over the left field fence, giving the Rams the 9-6 lead going to the bottom of the inning.
- After two clean innings from both sides to start the game, the Rams broke the game open in the top of the third inning. As Lamb and Brown led off the inning with back-to-back singles, Berezo added a single of his own to bring home the first run, going up 1-0.
- Witt and Carpenter each added some extra punch in the inning, as Witt singled and Carpenter doubled to push the game to 4-0. An error on a Simon groundout brought in run number five for a 5-0 lead.
- Davidson responded with a pair of runs in the bottom of the third with a solo home run and a double to cut the VCU lead to 5-2.
- VCU would get those runs back in the top of the fourth on a wild pitch and groundout as Lamb and Brown both reached to lead off the inning once again. Both would score the runs, pumping the VCU lead to 7-2.
- The Wildcats grabbed another pair in the bottom of the fifth to begin their streak of run scoring innings. A sacrifice fly from Eric Jones and a single from Brett Centracchio each scored runs to cut the lead to 7-4.
- Lacey would drop a single into center in the top of the sixth, scoring Brown from second to push the VCU lead to 8-4.
- However, Davidson chipped back within two with runs in the sixth and seventh to make the score 8-6. In the sixth, Davidson loaded the bases with two out but a strikeout from Benjamin Dum ended the threat.
VCU will return to action Saturday, April 28 as the Rams will take on the Davidson Wildcats in Game 2 of the three-game series. First pitch is slated for 2 p.m.