Final Score: VCU 2, Iona 1
Location: The Diamond (Richmond, Va.)
Records: VCU 12-8, Iona 4-11
The Short Story: After trailing 1-0 early, the VCU Rams used a pair of RBI from Zac Ching, including a walk off walk to solidify a 2-1 victory over the Iona Gaels on Saturday afternoon. With the win, the Rams extended their win streak to eight games.
- Ching led the way with a 1-for-3 effort, bopping a solo home run and grabbing two RBI.
- Four other Rams would record hits, as Daane Berezo would score the other lone run for the Rams.
- Sean Thompson would go seven strong innings, giving up only one run on four hits, and striking out nine.
- Benjamin Dum would earn the victory in two scoreless innings, giving up only one hit and striking out two.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Iona jumped on the board first in the top of the second inning. A single that would fall into center field by Brian Picone scored a run, putting up the Gaels 1-0.
- VCU would tie the ballgame in the bottom of the fifth, as Zac Ching would send a big fly over the left field fence for a solo home run.
- The Rams would get things going in the bottom of the ninth, as Daane Berezo drew a walk to start the inning. He would move to second on a groundout by Paul Witt.
- With one out and a runner on second, Iona intentionally walked Mitchel Lacey to put two on.
- After a pitching change, Brett Willett would get hit by a pitch and load the bases for Ching with one out.
- Ching would become the hero in the bottom of the ninth, as he would work a full count with the bases loaded. Then he would take ball four in the dirt to win the ballgame for the Rams 2-1.
VCU will return to action tomorrow, Sunday March 18 as they will play host to the Iona Gaels for Game Three of the three-game series. First pitch is scheduled for 1 p.m.