Final Score: VCU 8, Lafayette 6
Location: The Diamond (Richmond, Va.)
Records: VCU 10-8, Lafayette 7-10
The Short Story: After a quick five runs in the bottom of the first inning by the VCU Rams, the game would get a little out of their hands as the game quickly flipped into a 6-5 deficit after five innings. But, a three-run bottom of the sixth would lift the Rams to an 8-6 victory over the Lafayette Leopards for their sixth win in a row.
- Daane Berezo led the way with a three-hit effort, going 3-for-4 with two runs scored and an RBI.
- Haiden Lamb and Mitchel Lacey each recorded two-hit games, with Lamb going 2-for-4 with two runs scored. Lacey finished 2-for-3 with two doubles, two RBI, two runs scored, and a hit by pitch.
- Paul Witt went 1-for-4 with two RBI, two runs scored, and a hit by pitch.
- Hayden Moore earned his first win of the season out of the bullpen.
- Mac McCarty notched his seventh save of the season, putting him one save out of the NCAA lead in that category.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- VCU brought in the heavy artillery early in the bottom of the first inning, as they would bat eight guys thanks to a five-run inning. All started by a bunt single and a stolen base by Lamb, he would score on a double by Berezo to give the Rams a 1-0 lead.
- The Black & Gold would load the bases for Zac Ching, who also drew a walk to force in a run. Brett Willett would follow with a single to score a pair to go up 4-0. A double play groundout would score another, giving the Rams a 5-0 lead after one inning of play.
- Curtis Bafus kept Lafayette off the board with hits through three innings, but had one blemish as Lafayette scored a run thanks to a sacrifice fly that followed a walk earlier in the inning. It would be 5-1 Rams going into the third.
- Lafayette would get another pair of runs in the top of the fourth, as an RBI single by Trey Durrah brought the Leopards within two at 5-3.
- The Leopards would take the lead in the top of the fifth thanks to a pair of singles, giving them a 6-5 lead going forward.
- The Rams wouldn't be shy about putting up a three-run of their own in the bottom of the sixth, as back-to-back RBI doubles from Witt and Lacey resulted in three runs, giving the Rams an 8-6 lead.
- Moore, Ryan Fox, and McCarty combined to shut out the Leopards down the stretch, with McCarty picking up the save in the ninth inning to secure the win for the Rams.
VCU will return to action this weekend, starting on Friday as the Rams will play host to the Iona Gaels for a three-game series at The Diamond. First pitch Friday is slated for 6:30 p.m.