Final Score: VCU 4, William & Mary 3
Location: Plumeri Park (Williamsburg, Va.)
Records: VCU 1-3, William & Mary 0-4
The Short Story: After a tough opening weekend, the VCU Rams bounced back in a big way by grabbing a 4-3 victory over former CAA rival William & Mary Tribe. A strong collective pitching performance, paired with a solid offensive effort aided the victory for the Black & Gold.
- Connor Gillispie grabbed his first win of the season in a fine four inning performance, allowing only on hit and striking out five.
- Brett Willett, Daane Berezo, and Zac Ching each had a pair of hits in the effort. Ching added two runs scored while Willett had one.
- Freshman Liam Hibbits knocked in a pair of RBI's, while Josh Simon and Haiden Lamb each added one as well.
- The VCU pitching staff did not allow a single walk during the ballgame.
- Mac McCarty recorded his first career save in a VCU uniform.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Rams got the scoring going early, as the loaded the bases in the bottom of the second inning. A pair of groundouts by Liam Hibbits and Josh Simon led to a pair of runs.
- Haiden Lamb would cap the scoring in the top of the second with a bunt in the air that sailed over the second baseman's head, scoring the third run of the inning for VCU, giving them a 3-0 lead.
- Connor Gillispie, Benjamin Dum, and Garrett Pearson combined for eight innings with 13 strikeouts on the ballgame.
- The Tribe got a run back in the bottom of the fifth inning off of Dum, as a couple weak ground balls and well placed low contact balls helped William & Mary get some runners around to put the score at 3-1.
- Hibbits stayed hot as he added his second RBI of the day in the top of the sixth. He smoked a double to the right center field gap to score Zac Ching all the way from first base. That would put the score at 4-1 in favor of the Black and Gold.
- Runs in the bottom of the seventh and bottom of the ninth would bring William & Mary within a run, 4-3. With two out in the ninth and a runner on third, McCarty would get a groundout to end the ballgame for his first career save.
VCU will return to action this Friday, February 23 as the Rams head to South Carolina to take part in the Brittain Resorts Invitational hosted by Coastal Carolina. The Rams will face off against West Virginia in their first matchup Friday at 11 a.m.