Final Score: VCU 7, Saint Joseph's 6
Location: The Diamond (Richmond, Va.)
Records: VCU 26-15 (14-2 A-10), Saint Joseph's 13-21 (5-8 A-10)
The Short Story: There was much to see at The Diamond on Friday night, and if you blinked you might have missed everything. In the four-hour escapade, everything but the kitchen sink came out to play, capped by an RBI single by Mr. Clutch himself Steven Carpenter in the bottom of the eighth to give VCU a 7-6 victory.
- Logan Farrar led the offense with three hits on the night, going 3-for-4 with two runs and an RBI.
- Steven Carpenter finished with two hits and two RBI, as did cousin Darian Carpenter.
- Zac Ching and Haiden Lamb each collected a pair of hits, with Lamb adding an RBI.
- Starter Sean Thompson went six innings, giving up six hits, three runs, a walk, while striking out eight batters on the evening. He earned a no-decision.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Farrar wasted no time getting the Rams on the board, as he led off for VCU and smacked the first pitch he saw from Lucas Rollins over the right field fence for a home run, giving VCU a 1-0 lead.
- After a Steven Carpenter double as the second batter of the game, Darian Carpenter went deep as well for a two-run home run, giving VCU a 3-0 lead.
- The Rams weren't done scoring in the first, as Haiden Lamb singled into center field with the bases loaded to score another run and push the lead to 4-0 in favor of the Rams.
- Then things got crazy, as Dylan Isquirdo came to the plate. He lined a ball toward second base which was ruled a catch on the fly. With confusion abound, Saint Joseph's was able to turn a triple play, ending the threat and the inning.
- The Hawks put one on the board in the top of the second, as Matt Cuppari doubled in a run, putting the score at 4-1.
- Mitchel Lacey had other thoughts, extending the lead back out to four with an RBi double into right center to score Berezo. Farrar also tried scoring on the play, but was thrown out to end the inning.
- Steven Carpenter added an RBI in the bottom of the fourth, as his sacrifice fly scored Isquirdo to pump the VCU lead to 6-1.
- Then ensued the Saint Joseph's comeback among some debate, as they were able to grab a pair of runs in the fifth and three in the seventh as controversy swirled. Heading into the bottom of the seventh, the game would be tied 6-6.
- VCU would get the final say in it all, as Steven Carpenter stepped up in a big moment again for the Rams this season and delivered. His RBI scored Farrar and gave VCU the 7-6 advantage.
- Sam Donko would close things down in the top of the ninth, leaving the tying run for the Hawks at third base and securing his second win of the season.
VCU will return to action tomorrow, Saturday, April 29 for Game 2 of the three-game series. First pitch on Saturday is scheduled for 2 p.m.