Final Score: VCU 5, Fairfield 4 (13 innings)
Location: The Diamond (Richmond, Va.)
Records: VCU 4-5, Fairfield 2-3
The Short Story: It took 13 innings to decide a victor on Saturday afternoon, as the VCU Rams took on the Fairfield Stags for Game 2 of a three-game series. After leaving the bases loaded in the bottom of the 12th, the Rams would do it again in the 13th. Junior Mitchel Lacey was called upon to pinch it, and took advantage as he smacked the game-winning single into right field to give VCU a 5-4 win.
- Freshman Paul Witt led the offense with a four-hit afternoon, setting a new career-high for a single game in his career. He also walked twice, reaching base six times.
- Both Haiden Lamb and Zac Ching recorded multi-hit games, while Daane Berezo and Alex Gransback each chipped in an RBI.
- VCU drew 12 walks on the afternoon, with Darian Carpenter recording four of those.
- The Rams were busy on the bases but had a hard time scoring, leaving 19 total men on base throughout the game.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Berezo got the scoring started in the bottom of the second inning. With two outs, Witt doubled down the left field line, setting up Berezo for an RBI single, giving VCU the early 1-0 lead.
- That lead wouldn't last long, as Fairfield would put up a three-spot in the inning to take a 3-1 lead. Michael Conti started it, drawing in a bases loaded walk to force in a run. Kevin Radziewicz followed that up with an RBI single to give the Stags a 2-1 lead. Run three would score as Mac Crispino hit into a double play, pushing the score to 3-1.
- VCU charged back in the bottom of the fourth, as Haiden Lamb and Paul Witt began the inning with back-to-back base hits. Berezo would put down what was suppose to be a sacrifice bunt, but the throw got away from pitcher Kyle Dube, sending home Lamb to come within one, 3-2.
- Gransback would finish off the scoring of the inning, smacking a sacrifice fly to right field to score Witt, tying the game at 3-3.
- The Rams would take the lead in the bottom of the fifth inning, as a wild pitch would score Lamb, putting the score at 4-3.
- Fairfield would tie the game at 4-4 in the top of the eighth. Troy Scocca would smack a single down the right field line, scoring Radziewicz.
- Things stayed tied through the ninth as the game headed to extra innings. In the bottom of the 11th, the Rams would load the bases with one out. However, Fairfield would hold strong defensively and get two outs to send the game to the 12th.
- The game would end up in the 13th inning, as Ryan Fox held down the Stags for two innings. In the bottom half, three straight singles from Dylan Isquirdo, Lamb, and Witt would bring the bases loaded.
- Wasting no time, pinch hitter Mitchel Lacey would smack the second pitch he saw into right field for a game winning single, giving VCU the 5-4 victory.
VCU will return to action tomorrow, Sunday, March 5 as they will face Fairfield for Game 3 of the three-game series. First pitch at The Diamond is scheduled for 12 p.m.