Final Score: VCU 8, Norfolk State 3
Location: Marty L. Miller Baseball Field (Norfolk, Va.)
Records: VCU 3-5, NSU 3-5
The Short Story: Thanks to a combined nine hits between the second and sixth batting spots in the lineup, the VCU Rams put together a nice bounce back win after a loss Tuesday night. The Black & Gold defeated the Norfolk State Spartans by a final score of 8-3 behind six shutout innings from Michael Dailey, and a three-hit effort from senior Alex Gransback.
- Gransback finished the day as the top Ram of the pack, going 3-for-4 with three singles, three runs scored, and a walk.
- Dailey went six shutout innings, giving up only three hits in the process, walking two, and striking out one.
- Both Darian Caprenter and Zac Ching would put together multi-hit efforts, as Carpenter went 2-for-4 with a double, two runs scored, an RBI and walk. Ching would finish 2-for-5 with a double, a run scored, and two RBI.
- Freshman Josh Simon would drive in three runs on the ballgame, finishing his day 1-for-3 with a walk and double.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Things got started in a hurry for the Rams in the top of the first, as Gransback began the train with a single to center. Following that would be a long double to left field to score Gransback, giving VCU the 1-0 lead.
- Following Carpenter's rip, Farrar would step up and smack a single up the middle to bring home Carpenter to put the score to 2-0.
- It would be Gransback to strike again to start everything in the top of the fourth, as he led the inning off with another base hit. Following him would be walks to both Carpenter and Farrar to load the bases with nobody out.
- Ching would step up and deliver a double down the left field line for two RBI, followed by a Josh Simon sacrifice fly to push the VCU lead to 5-0.
- In the top of the fourth, it would be a Gransback hit that would get the offense moving, as Carpenter would back him up with a hit to put two on for Farrar. Gransback would come into score as the Spartans couldn't turn the back end of a double play to get Farrar, putting VCU up 6-0.
- After a few quiet frames, VCU would get their seventh and eighth runs in the top of the seventh. It would be freshman Josh Simon delivering the double in to left center to score two runs, extending the lead to 8-0.
- Norfolk State would grab three runs in the bottom of the eighth, but that was all they would get as Jonathan Ebersole pitched a clean ninth inning to secure the win.
VCU will return to action this weekend, beginning on Friday, March 3 as Fairfield University comes to Richmond. The three game series will take place Friday through Sunday, with first pitch on Friday at 3 p.m.