Final Score: #2 VCU 12, #7 George Washington 4
Location: Houlihan Park (Bronx, N.Y.)
Records: VCU 38-18, George Washington 24-33
The Short Story: With their season on the line in their second ballgame of the day, the VCU Rams responded with power. Highlighted by Matt Davis' three-run home run in the top of the second inning, the Black and Gold picked up 12 runs on 16 hits in defeating the George Washington Colonials for the second time in as many days, 12-4, eliminating their counterpart from the Atlantic 10 Championship.
- Logan Farrar and Cooper Mickelson each had their second three-hit game in as many days, each going 3-for-4 with an RBI. Farrar added a walk and three runs scored, while Mickelson scored twice.
- Four different Rams had a multi-hit effort, led by Matt Davis who collected a 2-for-4 day with a three-run home run, four RBI, two walks, and two runs scored.
- James Bunn went 2-for-5 with a double, run scored, and two RBI, while Zac Ching chipped in a 2-for-4 effort with two runs scored and a walk.
- Cody Acker collected an RBI with a 2-for-5 day, while Jimmy Kerrigan grabbed two RBI as well.
- Junior Sam Donko grabbed his 20th save of the season in a gutsy 3.2 innings out of the bullpen.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Rams got things going immediately in the top of the first inning, as VCU was able to load the bases. Kerrigan then delivered a one-out sacrifice fly to center field, allowing Farrar to score. That made things 1-0 early.
- VCU added one more run before the inning was over, as Acker backed up Kerrigan's at-bat with a single up the middle scoring Darian Carpenter. The RBI hit put the Rams on top 2-0.
- George Washington stormed back in the bottom of the first inning as a fielder's choice and error contributed to the Colonials putting a pair on the board, tying the game at 2-2.
- Mickelson and Ching both reached to lead off the top of the second inning, and would advance to second and third via Bunn with a sacrifice bunt. Farrar would follow it up with a slashing line drive through the left side, scoring Mickelson and giving VCU back the lead at 3-2.
- After a Carpenter ground out, Davis popped off the highlight of the game, hitting a three-run home run over the left field wall and pushing the VCU lead to 6-2.
- The Black and Gold would strike again in the top of the fourth inning, as Ching would lead things off with a single into right field. Bunn would then rope a liner just inside the third base bag to the corner, allowing Ching to come all the way around to score and make things 7-2.
- Just a few batters later in the top of the fourth, Davis would punch a grounder up the middle that was mishandled by the second baseman, allowing a run to score and giving Davis an RBI on the play. That would give VCU an 8-2 lead at that point.
- Bunn struck again in the top of the fifth inning, as a ground ball deep in the hole to shortstop was too far for any play to be made. The play allowed Mickelson to score from third and give VCU a 9-2 lead.
- George Washington scored two runs in the bottom of the sixth, highlighted by a home run from Bobby Campbell. The inning would push the score to 9-4.
- Another pair would hit the board in the top of the eighth inning, as VCU got two runs thanks to a passed ball and Kerrigan groundout to make the score 11-4.
- The eighth inning would end 12-4, as Mickelson lined an RBI single into right field, scoring Davis.
With the win, VCU will return to action tomorrow, Friday, May 27. They will face the winner of the Saint Joseph's/Fordham elimination game tonight in the Atlantic 10 Championship Semifinals at 3:30 p.m.