Final Score: VCU 3, Presbyterian 2
Location: PC Baseball Complex (Clinton, S.C.)
Records: VCU 34-16, Presbyterian 24-25
The Short Story: In week that the VCU Rams put all their efforts into finals, the effort level remained strong in-between the lines. Courtesy of Matt Davis, the Black and Gold would post up a 3-2 win in game one of the a three-game set at Presbyterian.
- Junior Matt Davis led the way, as he put together a 3-for-4 day, providing the long pair of RBI for the day with a double as well.
- The other Ram with a multi-hit effort would come from Haiden Lamb, as he provided a 2-for-5 day, scoring two runs in the process.
- James Bunn and Darian Carpenter each had a hit apiece, as Carpenter finished 1-for-4 while Bunn went 1-for-2 with a walk.
- Starter Michael Dailey improved himself to 5-0 as he went 6.0 innings, giving up only four hits, two runs, walking three and striking out six.
- Sam Donko locked down his NCAA-leading 18th save of the season in 1.1 innings of work, not giving up a hit or run.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Matt Davis would open things up for the Rams in the top of the first inning, as he played a little small ball. A bunt for a base hit would bring home Haiden Lamb and give the Black and Gold an early 1-0 lead.
- The Davis/Lamb combo would strike again in the bottom of the third inning, as Davis would drive a single to left field, scoring Lamb again to put the Rams up 2-0.
- The bottom of the fourth inning brought things tied, as Presbyterian would knock back-to-back homers off of Michael Dailey. Thanks to Cletis Avery and TJ Richardson, the game would tie up at 2-2.
- The Black and Gold would overtake the lead in the bottom of the fifth, as Darian Carpenter broke for the plate on a ball to the backstop. He would cross the plate, giving VCU a 3-2 lead.
- That would be all the need the Rams would need, as Matt Jamer and Sam Donko would hold down the fort from the seventh inning through the ninth inning as VCU captured the 3-2 win.
VCU will return to action next tomorrow, May 14, for game two of the three game series, as the Rams will face off against Presbyterian. First pitch is scheduled for 3 p.m.