Final Score: VCU 7, Saint Louis 6
Location: The Diamond (Richmond, Va.)
Records: VCU 33-16 (15-6), Saint Louis 20-28 (10-8)
The Short Story: An emotional day at The Diamond gave way to business in a hurry on Sunday afternoon, as the VCU Rams came out flying against the Saint Louis Billikens on Senior Day. Despite going up early, it would take a comeback effort in the bottom of the eighth inning to give the Black and Gold their 33rd win of the season, a 7-6 win over the Billikens in the final home game of the season.
- Senior James Bunn made the most of his final home game, putting up a 3-for-4 performance, with a home run, an RBI, and three runs scored.
- Fellow senior Jimmy Kerrigan put up a multi-hit performance, going 2-for4 with a pair of RBI and a run scored.
- Cody Acker also chipped in with a multi-hit effort, going 2-for-4 with an RBI.
- Darian Carpenter and Walker Haymaker each chipped in an RBI, while Cooper Mickelson and Matt Davis also had a hit apiece.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Rams opened things up in a big way in the bottom of the first, as Bunn would start things off with a base hit. After getting the bases loaded, it would be Kerrigan smacking an RBI single into left field to score two runs, putting VCU up 2-0.
- Following Kerrigan's RBI was Cody Acker, who dropped a single down the left field line, driving in Matt Davis from second to put the Rams up 3-0.
- The score would go to 4-0 by the end of the first, as Walker Haymaker delivered a sacrifice fly to center field to score Kerrigan.
- Bunn made things 5-0 with a solo home run to left field in the bottom of the second. The home run was Bunn's second of the season and of his career.
- Saint Louis would start chipping away at the lead in the bottom of the third inning, as Cole Dubet sent a sacrifice fly to center field to score one, cutting the lead to 5-1.
- Right after Dubet, Josh Bunselmeyer knocked a single through the left side to bring home another run, bringing the Billikens within three, 5-2.
- In the top of the fourth inning, Saint Louis would add another run to make things 5-3 thanks to an RBI single from Trent Leimkuehler.
- Things stayed quiet until the top of the seventh, when Dubet planted one off of the left field wall scoring Michael Bozarth and bringing the Billikens within one run, 5-4.
- The Billikens made their move in the top of the eighth inning, as Alex King delivered a two-out single to right field, scoring a pair of runners to take a 6-5 lead.
- However, the Rams would fire back in the bottom of the eighth as Darian Carpenter delivered the tying blow with a line drive single into right center field, putting the game at 6-6.
- The nail in the coffin would come at the expense of the Billikens, as a wild pitch to the backstop with Bunn on third would allow him to score the go-ahead run, and give them Rams a 7-6 lead.
- Despite giving up the lead in the top of the eighth, Sam Donko held down the fort in the top of the ninth to grab his third win of the season.
VCU will return to action next weekend, May 13 through the 15 as they head to Presbyterian for a three-game set. First pitch for game one of the series on Friday is scheduled for 3 p.m.