Final Score: #17 North Carolina 11, VCU 0
Location: Boshamer Stadium (Chapel Hill, N.C.)
Records: VCU 30-16, North Carolina 29-15
The Short Story: A combined seven runs in the first three innings doomed the VCU Rams early against #17 North Carolina Tuesday night. The Black and Gold would go cold offensively, and drop to the Tar Heels by a final score of 11-0.
- Leading the offense was junior Matt Davis, who grabbed two hits in a 2-for-3 night.
- Logan Farrar, Brett Hileman, and Mitchel Lacey grabbed the remaining hits for the Rams, each with one apiece.
- Freshman Zac Ching was able to reach base twice via two walks.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- North Carolina opened up the scoring in a big way in the second inning after a clean slate in the first. The Tar Heels opened with six runs, including two RBI doubles off of starter Benjamin Dum. The inning was capped by an RBI double from Brandon Riley, scoring two to put Carolina up 6-0.
- The Tar Heels added another run in the bottom of the third, as a groundout from Brian Miller scored Kyle Datres and putting UNC up 7-0.
- Another pair of runs would cross the plate in favor of North Carolina in the bottom of the sixth inning, as Tyler Ramirez would smack an RBI single through the right side, scoring two and putting UNC up 9-0.
- Logan Warmouth added to the lead in the bottom of the eighth, as he smacked a two-run single off of Jack Alkire, opening up the lead to 11-0 in favor of UNC.
FROM THE BULLPEN
- The last time the Rams were shutout was March 17, 2015 when they dropped a 7-0 loss to Monmouth.
- The ball was put in play a lot on the night, as there were only eight strikeouts between the two sides, with each side recording four.
- 15 total Rams made it into the lineup throughout the game as well.
VCU will return to action this weekend, starting on Friday as they will play host to Saint Louis for their final home series of the season. The three-game set will take off on Friday, with first pitch at 6:30 p.m.