Final Score: Richmond 5, VCU 4 (10 innings)
Location: The Diamond (Richmond, Va.)
Records: VCU 26-13 (9-4 A-10), Richmond 21-15 (7-6 A-10)
The Short Story: The VCU Rams brought a seven-game winning streak back home to The Diamond on Saturday afternoon as they faced off against cross-town rival, the University of Richmond. With the game in extra innings, the Spiders were able to climb ahead and hold down the Rams in the bottom of the 10th inning to solidify a win in the first-game of a three-game series, ending the Rams longest winning streak of the season.
- Haiden Lamb made things happen at the top of the lineup, knocking out a team-high three hits in a 3-for-5 day with a triple, where he scored two runs as well.
- Darian Carpenter continued to swing a hot bat, going 2-for-5 with an RBI on the day.
- Senior Cody Acker was the other Ram with a multi-hit effort, going 2-for-4 with an RBI as well.
- Center fielder Logan Farrar also knocked out an RBI, while Matt Davis and Jimmy Kerrigan each scored a run.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Things got interesting early in the top of the first inning, as Richmond loaded the bases with two out. However, Sean Thompson was able to get Jansen Frasor to fly out, ending the threat and keeping things scoreless.
- It would be the Rams to break the ice finally in the bottom of the fourth inning, as Acker singled in Davis to give VCU the 1-0 advantage.
- The Rams lead wouldn't last long, as the Spiders broke through for three runs in the top of the fifth. Thompson wouldn't be so lucky this go-around with the bases loaded, as Kurtis Brown unloaded a double to the right field corner, scoring all three runners and giving Richmond the 3-1 lead.
- VCU would get one back in the bottom of the fifth, as Lamb made his way around the bases and eventually scored on a Farrar ground out to bring the Black and Gold within one, 3-2.
- Richmond extended their lead back to two runs, 4-2, in the bottom of the sixth as Tyler Beckwith sent a single to left field to score Dan Brumbaugh.
- As the see saw progressed, the Rams would grab the run back in the bottom of the sixth. With runners on first and second base, Keenan Bartlett spiked a pitch in the dirt that went to the backstop. Catcher Aaron Newman couldn't locate the ball, allowing Kerrigan to score from second to bring the Rams back within one, 4-3.
- The Black and Gold finally tied it up in the bottom of the seventh inning, as Carpenter shot a single through the left side of the infield in to left, scoring Lamb to bring things to 4-4.
- The tie would not be broken until extra innings, as Richmond pounced on their opportunity in the top of the 10th, as Brumbaugh singled to left, scoring pinch runner Jake Wood to take the 5-4 advantage.
- Matt Olson held down the fort for the Spiders, getting the Rams "Heart of the Order" in Carpenter, Davis, and Kerrigan to go 1-2-3 in the bottom of the 10th to seal the win for UR.
FROM THE BULLPEN
- Matt Davis extended his on-base streak to 14 games, which sits second most on the team this season behind Darian Carpenter's 18-game streak.
- The bottom three hitting spots in the order for the Rams (seven through nine) combined for a 1-for-11 clip on the game with four strikeouts.
- In any of their 13 losses this season, the Rams have not been held scoreless.
VCU will return to action tomorrow, Sunday, April 24 when they host Richmond for a doubleheader at The Diamond. First pitch of game one is scheduled for 1 p.m. while game two will kick off 45 minutes after game one finishes.