Final Score: VCU 4, LaSalle 1
Location: Hank DeVincent Field (Philadelphia, Pa.)
Records: VCU 23-12 (7-3 A-10), LaSalle 10-24 (2-5)
The Short Story: The "City of Brotherly Love" welcomed the Black and Gold nicely on Friday afternoon, as they headed to LaSalle to begin a three-game weekend conference series. Thanks to a two-hit effort by Sean Thompson, going seven strong innings and bringing a no-hitter into the seventh, the VCU Rams upended the Explorers of LaSalle by a final score of 4-1.
- Thompson's effort ranks as one of his best of the season, going 7.0 innings, giving up two hits, one run, walking two, and striking out seven. He earned the victory, improving his record to 6-1 on the season.
- Outfielder Jimmy Kerrigan did his part in front of a hometown crowd, finishing with a 1-for-5 day, but bringing in a team-best two RBI on the game.
- Both Darian Carpenter and Matt Davis finished with multi-hit games. Carpenter ended up 2-for-3 on the afternoon with two walks and two runs scored. Davis finished 2-for-4 with one walk and a run scored.
- Cody Acker chipped in with a 1-for-5 day but snagged the only other RBI in the box score.
- LaSalle jumped on top right off in the bottom of the first, as Colin McGowan reached with a leadoff walk. During the next at-bat, he proceeded to steal second and advance to third on a fielding error from Davis. He would score just a few pitches later on a wild pitch giving LaSalle a 1-0 lead.
- The Rams made their move in the fifth inning, all started by three straight singles from Logan Farrar, Carpenter, and Davis.
- With the bases loaded, Kerrigan sent a ground ball to second base, getting the force out at first. The play scored Farrar to pull things even at 1-1.
- Following Kerrigan and runners on second and third was Acker. The lefty dropped a bunt up the third base line as Carpenter broke for the plate. A barehanded attempt by the third baseman didn't go as planned for LaSalle, allowing Acker to reach with a hit and scoring the run putting VCU up 2-1.
- Acker came through for the Rams once again in the next at-bat, as VCU had runners on first and third base. Acker went to steal second, got caught in a run down between first and second and allowed Davis to score run number three for the Rams.
- VCU added one more in the top of the seventh inning to take a 4-1 lead, as Kerrigan grabbed his second RBI of the afternoon on a single to center field.
- With two out in the bottom of the seventh, Thompson gave up his first hit of the game to Chase Arnold.
- Sam Donko took over in the eighth inning, keeping the Explorers at bay for the following two innings to grab his 13th save of the season, and aiding the Rams to win number 23 on the season.
FROM THE BULLPEN
- Haiden Lamb made a great leaping catch at the wall for the second out of the fourth inning.
- Eight of the nine batters in the lineup got a hit in the contest
- Thompson's sixth win ties him for the conference lead in the category, while Donko's save keeps him at the top of the country in the category as well.
VCU will return to action tomorrow, April 16, for game two of the three-game series against the LaSalle Explorers. First pitch for Saturday's duel is scheduled for 3 p.m.