Final Score: VCU 7, Rhode Island 3
Location: Bill Beck Field (Kingston, R.I.)
Records: VCU 20-12 (6-3), Rhode Island 11-14 (4-2)
The Short Story: The VCU Rams had their backs up against the wall on Sunday afternoon, facing their first sweep of the season against the Rhode Island Rams. Thanks to a four-run tenth inning sparked by a James Bunn hit by pitch and capped by a Zac Ching triple, the Black and Gold defeated URI by a final score of 7-3 in 10 innings.
- Jimmy Kerrigan paced the offense, putting up a 4-for-5 day with a run scored.
- Both Matt Davis and Cody Acker posted a multi-hit game, as Davis finished 2-for-4 with a run scored while Acker finished 2-for-5 with a run scored as well.
- James Bunn had the top all-around game, finishing 1-for-3 with two RBI and two runs scored. He was also hit by a pitch.
- Freshman Zac Ching led all batters in RBi with three, finishing 1-for-5 with a run scored.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- VCU jumped to the lead for the second straight day, getting on the board in the top of the second. As it seemed they may not score after Acker got cut down at the plate for the first out, Dylan Isquirdo cashed in Bunn on a hit and run up the middle to put the score at 1-0.
- Following Isquirdo's base knock came Logan Farrar, who put down a safety squeeze to score Ching and put VCU up 2-0.
- Rhody came back with a run to cut the lead in half in the bottom of the fifth inning. With runners on first and third, Jordan Powell punched a single through the right side to score Chris Hess, putting the score to 2-1.
- The sixth inning brought another run for VCU, as Bunn lifted a sacrifice fly to left field to score Darian Carpenter, putting the Black and Gold lead back to two runs, 3-1.
- URI responded right back in the bottom of the sixth, as Chase Livingston got into a Matt Jamer delivery and drove one over the left field fence for a solo shot, cutting the VCU lead back to one, 3-2.
- In the bottom of the eighth inning, URI brought it back even, after a botched rundown loaded the bases, Sam Donko came in and walked in a run with one out. That would bring the score to 3-3.
- However, Donko would get a 4-6-3 double play off the bat of Hess after a nice stab by Cooper Mickelson.
- While VCU came up empty in the top of the ninth, URI threatened in the bottom of the ninth. However, with two out and runners first and second, Bunn made a phenomenal diving catch to make the third out and send things to extras.
- As fate would have it, Bunn would step up in the top of the tenth with the bases loaded. He would take the first pitch he saw in the shoulder to force in a run and give VCU the 4-3 lead.
- Just one batter later, Ching would put the exclamation mark on the inning as he sent a bases-clearing triple to the right field corner bringing home all runners, and giving the Black and Gold their biggest lead of the weekend, 7-3.
- Sam Donko, who pitched the eighth, ninth, and tenth innings, made quick work of URI in the bottom of the tenth to give the Rams a win in the series, avoiding the sweep.
FROM THE BULLPEN
- VCU was able to pitch out of multiple jams between Dailey, Jamer, and Donko. The Rams had to pitch with base runners on in every inning except for the bottom of the third and tenth, which were the only 1-2-3 innings of the game.
- The Rams only had two extra base hits on the weekend (Haymaker's home run on Friday, followed by Ching's triple on Sunday).
- Both teams combined for a total of 25 hits.
- Despite the high hit total, the Rams were able to hold URI in check by stranding 12 Rhode Island baserunners.
VCU will return to action this upcoming Tuesday, April 12 when they return back to The Diamond to take on Norfolk State. First pitch is set for 6:30 p.m.