Final Score: VCU 5, Dayton 3
Location: The Diamond (Richmond, Va.)
Records: VCU 18-10 (5-1 A-10), Dayton 7-20 (1-5 A-10)
The Short Story: Coming off a tough defeat to Dayton on Saturday afternoon, the VCU Rams were poised in taking a series win over the Flyers on Sunday afternoon. They did just that, thanks to a 4-for-4 day from Matt Davis in a 5-3 victory, as they took two of three from Dayton.
- Davis added a few extra curriculars to his 4-for-4 stat line, as he had a double, a run and RBI to his credit as well.
- James Bunn was the only other Ram with a multi-hit contest, going 2-for-4 on the day.
- Coming home with a team-best two RBI was Darian Carpenter, as he went 1-for-3 with a sacrifice fly.
- Cody Acker and Nick Rabat each added a hit to their names, while Cooper Mickelson chipped in with three walks on the game.
- Starting pitcher Michael Dailey tossed 5.0 innings, scattering five hits, three runs (all earned), four walks, and striking out three. He was credited with the win, putting his record to 2-0.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Dailey got things off to an interesting start, as he walked Robbie Doring on four pitches to open up the game. However, Dailey picked him off of first before throwing a pitch to the second batter, Connor Echols.
- Mark Giesler had other thoughts about leaving the top of the first scoreless, as he knocked an RBI single through into left field to score Echols and giving Dayton a 1-0 lead.
- The Rams countered back in the bottom of the first, as Carpenter smacked his own RBI single up the middle into center to score Cooper Mickelson and tie things up 1-1.
- VCU would pull ahead in the bottom of the third inning, as Matt Davis smoked a double into left field, scoring Mickelson once again to give the Rams a 2-1 lead.
- Helping each other out was the name of the game in the bottom of the fifth, as the Rams added to their lead with a pair of sacrifice flies from Carpenter and Mitchel Lacey to take a 4-1 lead.
- Dayton battled back in the bottom of the sixth inning, as they put up a pair of runs to come back within one run, 4-3, highlighted by an RBI triple from Glenn Jones that one hopped the wall in center field.
- Jimmy Kerrigan checked with yet another sacrifice fly in the bottom of the sixth inning, as he lined one to center field that scored Logan Farrar from third to give the Black and Gold a 5-3 lead.
- Sam Donko pitched the final four innings in relief of Michael Dailey, holding the Flyers scoreless and shutting the door on Dayton for the save, giving the Rams the 5-3 win and series win as well. The save would be his 11th of the season.
FROM THE BULLPEN
- Matt Davis sparked the Rams with his defense in the top of the fifth inning, highlighted by a great diving play up the middle and throwing the ball to first for the out.
- Logan Farrar stole his 10th base of the season, the only Ram in double-figures in the category.
- Sam Donko's 11th save of the season keeps him in the top three in the country in the category.
VCU will return to action this Tuesday, April 5 as they will play host to the defending national champions, Virginia, at The Diamond for the "Dual at The Diamond". First pitch is scheduled for 7:00 p.m.