Final Score: Dayton 8, VCU 3
Location: The Diamond (Richmond, Va.)
Records: VCU 17-10 (4-1 A-10), Dayton 7-19 (1-4 A-10)
The Short Story: The VCU Rams came into Saturday afternoon with a perfect 4-0 record in the Atlantic 10 Conference, putting them right at the top of the standings. However, the Rams put a blemish on that mark, as they were upended by the Dayton Flyers, 8-3 at The Diamond.
- Darian Carpenter has been on fire as of late, as he led the offense going 3-for-4 on the day.
- Center fielder Logan Farrar also continued his hot hitting, putting up a 2-for-4 day with an RBI.
- Three other Rams put up multi-hit games (Jimmy Kerrigan, Matt Davis, James Bunn), as Davis upped the ante on the other two by also scoring a run.
- Rams starting pitcher Brooks Vial hampered his way though 5.1 innings, giving up seven hits, four runs (two earned), two walks, and five strikeouts.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Dayton got things started right off in the top of the first inning, wasting no time grabbing a lead. Connor Echols reached on a single two batters in, and eventually came around to score on a double by Mark Giesler. That would give the Flyers an early 1-0 lead.
- It wouldn't be until the fourth inning when the Rams finally got on the scoreboard, as Brody Cook hit a ground ball with the bases loaded. The Flyers could only get an out at second base, allowing a run to score and tie the game at 1-1.
- One batter later with two out and runners on first and third, Walker Haymaker blooped one just over the head of the shortstop to score one more run, putting the Rams up 2-1.
- The Rams threatened in the bottom of the fifth, however could not cash in on a bases loaded opportunity and came up empty for the inning.
- The Flyers capitalized on the missed VCU opportunity, as they posted up four runs in the bottom of the sixth, capped by a double from Robbie Doring to make the score 5-2 Flyers.
- VCU charged back with a run in the bottom of the sixth, as Logan Farrar hit a sacrifice fly to score Brody Cook, who reached with a leadoff double. That would pull the Rams within two, 5-3.
- However, the Flyers put the game out of reach of the Rams in the top of the ninth, putting up three runs after a two-out error to extend their lead, 8-3.
- Sam Brunner gave up two hits in the ninth to Kerrigan and Carpenter, but shut the door on the Rams, giving Dayton their first conference win of the season.
FROM THE BULLPEN
- The Rams have now lost three of their last four. It is their second worst span of the season, when they lost four of five between February 21 and March 1.
- Coming in the game in relief of Vial was Matt Jamer, who gave up four runs. However, none of the four were earned runs.
- VCU put up a 14-hit contest, outhitting the Flyers who had 13. However, the difference comes in the runners left on, as Dayton left eight while VCU left 13.
- So far this series, both teams have combined for eight total errors through two games.
VCU will return to action tomorrow, Sunday, April 3, as they will play host to the Flyers of Dayton at The Diamond for game three of the three-game set. First pitch is scheduled for 1:00 p.m.