Final Score: VCU 9, Dayton 2
Location: The Diamond (Richmond, Va.)
Records: VCU 17-9 (4-0 A-10), Dayton 6-19 (0-4 A-10)
The Short Story: After back-to-back losses in the middle of the week, the VCU Rams bounced back nicely on Friday night, as they keep their flawless conference record in tact. They defeated the Dayton Flyers handidly, a 9-2 victory at The Diamond that pumps their home record to 11-3.
- Logan Farrar made the offense roll, knocking a team-high three hits in a 3-for-5 night, scoring a run as well.
- Shortstop Matt Davis had a solid night at the plate, going 2-for-4 with a team-best three RBI, while having one of the doubles the Rams hit on the night.
- Outfielder Jimmy Kerrigan continued his solid play on offense, going 2-for-3 with two walks and an RBI. He also scored a team-high three times and stole two bases.
- Starting pitcher Sean Thompson improved his record to 5-0 on the season by tossing 6.0 scoreless innings, giving up only one hit, walking four, and striking out six.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After two innings of zeros, the Rams broke through first with five runs in the bottom of the third inning. It all began with Dylan Isquirdo reaching on a fielding error, followed by a single from Farrar.
- After a Daane Berezo sacrifice bunt, Kerrigan walked to load the bases with one out. This began the scoring for the Rams, as Matt Davis singled through the right side to score Isquirdo, giving VCU a 1-0 lead.
- Right after Davis, Darian Carpenter chopped a ball in the hole towards shortstop. Despite being played by the shortstop, a throw was not made and all runners were safe. The play scored Farrar from third, giving the Rams a 2-0 lead and keeping the bases loaded.
- The next two runs for the Rams would be scored with some help courtesy of the Flyers, as a throwing error on a ground ball from Cody Acker and bases loaded walk to James Bunn helped push the score to 4-0 VCU.
- The fifth and final run of the third inning came off the bat of Isquirdo as the Rams batted around the order. He put a ball in play that was errantly thrown by the second baseman, allowing Carpenter to score, making the score 5-0 Rams.
- VCU tacked on another pair of runs in the bottom of the fourth inning, as Matt Davis drilled a double that two-hopped the center field wall, scoring both Berezo and Kerrigan to give the Black and Gold the hefty 7-0 advantage.
- Acker added to his resume in the bottom of the sixth, as he lifted a sacrifice fly to right field to score Kerrigan. The run would extend the Rams lead to 8-0.
- Dayton got themselves on the scoreboard in the top of the seventh inning, as Nick Ryan brought home Mitch Coughlin on a ground out off of Jonathan Ebersole, putting the score at 8-1.
- Kerrigan countered right back with yet another VCU run, as the dropped a bunt up the third base line for a hit, scoring pinch runner Nick Atkinson to make the score 9-1.
- The Flyers answered right back to the Rams in the top of the eighth inning, as Aaron Huesman sent a single into center field following a triple from Robbie Doring, scoring the ladder to bring the score to 9-2.
FROM THE BULLPEN
- The Rams only struck out once all night, putting that as their lowest total of the season.
- Dayton had trouble in the field, contributing to much of the Rams success on the scoreboard by committing five errors on the night.
- Carpenter (3) and Bunn (2) combined for five walks on the evening.
- Luke Crabb came in to pitch in relief of Ebersole for the ninth, throwing a scoreless inning to close the door on the Flyers.
VCU will return to action tomorrow, Saturday, April 2, as they will play host to the Flyers of Dayton at The Diamond for game two of the three-game set. First pitch is scheduled for 2:00 p.m.