Final Score: VCU 4, St. Bonaventure 1
Location: The Diamond (Richmond, Va.)
Records: VCU 16-7 (3-0), St. Bonaventure 9-8-1 (0-3)
The Short Story: With their third weekend sweep in their sights on Sunday afternoon, the VCU Rams took care of business at The Diamond. They put an exclimation point on the beginning of their conference schedule by defeating the St. Bonaventure Bonnies by a final score of 4-1, giving them their fifth win in a row.
- Cody Acker had himself a fine day at the plate, going a team-best 3-for-4 with an RBI.
- Also finishing with a multi-hit game was Logan Farrar, finishing 2-for-3 on the day with a walk.
- Matt Davis delivered the big knock to break the ice, going 1-for-4 with two RBI.
- Four other Rams finished with at least a hit (Jimmy Kerrigan, Brody Cook, Cooper Mickelson, and Walker Haymaker).
- Freshman Michael Dailey pitch five shutout inning, only allowing three hits, three walks, and striking out six.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The game began with five-inning stalemate where Michael Dailey and Aaron Phillips had control, as both teams combined for five total hits through the first five innings.
- VCU finally broke through with runs in the bottom of the sixth inning, as Logan Farrar and Jimmy Kerrigan reached base with back-to-back singles to lead off the inning. Matt Davis brought them around the carousel with a gap shot to left center, scoring the pair and putting the Rams on the board first, 2-0.
- With two out in the bottom of the sixth, Cody Acker added to the lead with a single through the right side, scoring Davis and putting the Rams up 3-0.
- In the bottom of the seventh inning, Cooper Mickelson knocked a single to center field with one out to get things going for the Rams. Walker Haymaker followed up with a single to left. The right fielder misplayed the ball, allowing Mickelson to go right around third and score as he beat the throw to the plate. That gave the Rams their fourth and final score of the contest.
- St. Bonaventure struck for a run in the top of the eighth inning, as Thad Johnson reached base to start the inning. After getting to second on a ground out, Ted Dilts scored Johnson with a double that he blasted to the wall in right center over the head of Kerrigan. That put the score to 4-1.
- Sam Donko came in and shut the door in the eighth and tossed a solid ninth inning to pull the curtain on the Bonnies, giving VCU the 4-1 win and collecting save number 10 on the season.
FROM THE BULLPEN
- The Rams now have three weekend sweeps this season, all coming at The Diamond. The other two were over Marist and Wagner.
- Donko made his team-high 14th appearance in the game
- The Rams have now won five in a row, all coming at The Diamond. At home, VCU now has a 10-2 record in Richmond.
- Cody Acker has been clutch at the plate, leading the Black and Gold with 16 RBI this season.
VCU will return to action this Tuesday, March 29 when the Rams travel to Terrapin land to take on the University of Maryland. First pitch is scheduled for 4 p.m.