Final Score: VCU 7, Marist 6 (13 innings)
Location: The Diamond (Richmond, Va.)
Records: VCU 5-4, Marist 2-6
The Short Story: VCU hosted the second game of a three-game series against the Marist Red Foxes on Sunday afternoon. Despite Marist grabbing an early 3-0 lead in the third, the Rams would prevail as Jimmy Kerrigan scored on a throwing error in the bottom of the 13th inning to give VCU a 7-6 win in the nearly five hour showdown.
- Sam Donko pitched 5.2 innings of shutout ball, coming in relief after Marist pulled ahead, 6-5 in the eighth inning. He only gave up four hits, walked two, and struck out four.
- Both Cody Acker and Brody Cook each recorded three hits on the night, going 3-for-4 with two walks. Cook also added an RBI to his line.
- Darian Carpenter kept up his hot streak, collecting two RBI's on the day.
- Graham McIntire and Joey Aiola each collected three hits apiece for Marist.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After a clean two first innings from Garrett Pearson, the Red Foxes broke open for a three-spot against Matt Oxner. Their inning was highlighted by an RBI single by Frank Gregoire.
- The Rams responded with two runs of their own in the bottom of the third, as Carpenter notched an RBI single to score Matt Davis and Walker Haymaker, putting the score at 3-2.
- Marist put up another score in the top of the fourth, as Matt Iantosca singled to begin the inning, and came around to score on VCU miscues, giving the Red Foxes a 4-2 advantage.
- VCU responded once again in the bottom of the fourth. After back-to-back singles from Acker and Cook, Walker Haymaker grounded out, scoring Acker to pull back within one at 4-3.
- A sacrifice fly in the top of the sixth from Tyler Kirkpatrick once again extended the Red Fox lead out to two, 5-3.
- The Black and Gold once again closed the gap in the bottom of the sixth, as Brett Hileman led off the inning with a walk. After the walk, Acker walked as well, allowing Cook to drive home Hileman to bring the Rams back within one at 5-4.
- The Rams finally drew even in the bottom of the seventh, as Carpenter reached on an error. He was able to steal second, and came in to score on a Kerrigan single, tying the game at 5-5.
- Both teams squared off in the eighth as well, as Marist put one up in the top of the inning, with the Rams coming right back to tie the game at 6-6 with a Matt Davis single with two out to score Cook.
- VCU had a chance to win it in the bottom of the ninth, as they got a runner to third in Gransback with one out. Marist elected to intentionally walk both Acker and Cook to load the bases. The Red Foxes were able to pitch around a solid rope to a shallow center fielder and a ground out to end the inning and send the game to extra innings.
- With both teams missing opportunities between the 10th and 12th innings, the Rams finally broke through to win it in the 13th inning. With one out, both Kerrigan and Acker got hit by pitches to put runners on first and second base. With Cook at the plate, Kerrigan took off for third for a stolen base. The throw was low and skipped into left field, allowing Kerrigan to get up and beat a throw home to win the game for the Black and Gold.
FROM THE BULLPEN
- Both teams combined for 11 total pitchers used on the game, with Donko the only one to pitch more than 4.0 innings.
- Donko attacked the strike zone for the second consecutive day, throwing 68 pitches, with 46 for strikes.
- Each team left a total of 17 men on base throughout the game, while they also each recorded 13 hits on 50 total at-bats.
VCU will return to action tomorrow, Monday, March 7 when they face off for game three of their three-game set with Marist. First pitch is scheduled for 1 p.m.