Final Score: VCU 3, Marist 0
Location: The Diamond (Richmond, Va.)
Records: VCU 4-4, Marist 2-5
The Short Story: VCU opened up their home schedule at The Diamond on Saturday afternoon, as they squared off against the Marist Red Foxes. Sophomore Sean Thompson pitched seven innings of shutout ball, followed by Sam Donko to shut the door on a 3-0 win to open their three-game series.
- Thompson was the winning pitcher on record, pitching 7.0 innings only giving up two hits, walking three and striking out six. Donko came in and pitched two scoreless as well, giving up only one hit and striking out two.
- Five Rams recorded two hits, led by Logan Farrar and Cody Acker who each scored a run as well.
- Darian Carpenter jacked a solo home run in the bottom of the second to launch the scoring. The dinger was his second of the season.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After a clean first inning by both sides, Carpenter started off the scoring with a solo home run over the left center field wall. The bomb gave the Rams an early 1-0 lead.
- Thompson didn't allow a hit until the top of the fourth inning, when Tyler Kirkpatrick led off with a single.
- The Red Foxes threatened in the bottom of the sixth, as they got a runner to third with two out. Thompson was able to strikeout Matt Pagano to end the inning and the threat.
- The bottom to the seventh began with back-to-back singles from Acker and Brody Cook. After Cook was thrown out at second trying to stretch his single to a double, Acker advanced to third. Haymaker would cash in Acker on a groundout to make the score 2-0.
- The Rams would add their third and final score in the bottom of the eighth, with runners on first and third, Alex Gransback grounded into a double play, but scored Logan Farrar to push the Black and Gold lead to 3-0.
- Donko got Marist 1-2-3 in the ninth with two groundouts and a strikeout to clinch the win for the Rams.
FROM THE BULLPEN
- Despite the score differential, both teams managed to leave five base runners throughout the game.
- Donko attacked the strike zone in his two innings, throwing 21 pitches with 17 for strikes.
- Matt Pagano struck out three times on the day for Marist.
VCU will return to action tomorrow, Sunday, March 6 when they face off for game two of their three-game set with Marist. First pitch is scheduled for 2 p.m.