Final Score: Longwood 10, VCU 9
Location: Buddy Bolding Stadium (Farmville, Va.)
Records: VCU 3-4 (0-0), Longwood 3-4 (0-0)
The Short Story: VCU faced off against fellow commonwealth competitor Longwood University on Tuesday afternoon in their first mid-week action of the season. However, the Rams didn't fare well, giving up double-digit runs for the third time this season in a 10-9 defeat to the Lancers.
- The offense was led by senior Cody Acker, who supplied a 2-for-4 day with three RBI
- Always seeming to be on base was Darian Carpenter, who was on base for all five of his plate appearances. He went 2-for-2 with a double, while also reaching three other times by a hit by pitch.
- Junior Matt Davis supplied some pop, knocking out his team-leading second home run of the season. The home run was a two run shot.
- Starting pitcher Brooks Vial pitched 4.0 innings and was not factored into the decision. Rather, reliever Matt Jamer pitched 3.0 innings and was handed the loss, giving up four runs (three earned) and striking out two.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Longwood got on the board first with a pair of runs in the bottom of the first. A few VCU miscues that included an error and an infield hit, put runners on and allowed them to come around and score on a stolen base and ground out, putting the Lancers up 2-0
- The Rams would finally make some noise in the top of the third, as Brett Hileman would beat out the back end of a double play with the bases loaded to score a run, making the score 2-1 and keep runners at first and third.
- After Jimmy Kerrigan got hit by a pitch the flowing batter, Acker hit a ground ball to third base where Hileman won the race to the bag, was called safe and allowed a run to score, tying the game 2-2.
- With the bases still loaded in the top of the third, Walker Haymaker drew a walk, allowing another run to score and putting the Rams on top 3-2.
- Not to be outdone, Longwood would answer back in the bottom of the third, as they created some havoc with runners on first and third. A passed ball would get to the backstop, allowing the runner from third to score, re-tying the game 3-3.
- Following a Daane Berezo walk in the top of the fourth, Davis planted his second home run of the season over the left field wall for a two-run blast. The round tripper would give VCU back the lead, 5-3.
- Again with the bases loaded in the top of the fourth, Acker would hit ground ball to third base, and beat out a double play attempt after Longwood recorded the out at second base. But the play allowed Carpenter to score from third, giving the Rams their biggest lead of the day, 6-3.
- With runners second and third after a sac bunt in the bottom of the fourth, Brandon Harvell punched a single to right field for Longwood. The hit would bring home one run, putting the game at 6-4 and runners on first and third.
- The Lancers would add two more after a single by Sammy Miller, once again tying the game at 6-6.
- VCU added another run in the top of the fifth, as Mitchel Lacey scored on a ground out by Berezo.
- Longwood exploded for four runs in the bottom of the fifth, highlighted by single by C.J. Roth that scored two. At the end of the inning, Longwood held a 10-7 lead.
- The Rams would tack on a couple in the top of the eighth, but it would be too little, too late. RBI singles from both Hileman and Acker brought the Rams within striking distance at 10-9, but couldn't cash in any more.
FROM THE BULLPEN
- The Rams pitching staff had a hard time keeping runners on base when they got there, as the Lancers scored 10 runs, with only five being left on base all game.
- The Lancers swiped four bases on the afternoon, while VCU also did a little running, snagging two.
- VCU committed four errors in the game, a season-high.
- There was no trouble reaching base for Darian Carpenter and Jimmy Kerrigan, as they combined for all of VCU's five hit by pitches on the afternoon.
VCU will return to action this weekend for their opening weekend series at home, as they play host to Marist beginning on Friday. First pitch is set for 3 p.m.