Final Score: Eastern Kentucky 12, VCU 2
Location: Brooks Field (Wilmington, N.C.)
Records: VCU 2-2 (0-0), EKU 2-3 (0-0)
The Short Story: VCU faced off against the Eastern Kentucky University Colonels at the University of North Carolina-Wilmington on Friday afternoon. The Rams failed to cash in on multiple opportunities with runners on base, as they were downed by EKU by a final score of 12-2.
- The bright spot in the offense came from senior Cody Acker, who went 3-for-3 with the lone Ram RBI and a walk.
- Three other Rams recorded hits on the game (Matt Davis, Darian Carpenter, Jimmy Kerrigan), all being singles.
- Daane Berezo reached base twice, all via a walk
- Starting pitcher Brooks Vial took the loss for the Rams, going 5.0 innings, giving up seven hits, four runs (three earned) and a walk while striking out five.
- EKU got a star-studded performance from Mandy Alvarez, as he unleashed a 4-for-5 day with a home run and five RBI, while teammate Shea Sullivan went 5-for-6 with an RBI on the day as well.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After loading the bases on three errors to begin the game and a single by Carpenter, EKU pitcher Eric Nerl got Brett Hileman to ground into a 6-3 double play to end the bottom of the first, keeping the game scoreless early.
- In the top of the second, EKU catcher Logan Starnes roped a single to right center field to score Sullivan from second, giving the Colonels an early 1-0 lead.
- EKU would add two more in the top of the third, as Alvarez would smack a single to score Doug Teegarden and Kyle Nowlin to extend the Colonels lead to 3-0.
- Reaching on an error to start the inning, Alvarez would cross the plate for a run in the top of the fifth on a sac fly to right field from Luke Wurzelbacher, pushing the EKU lead to 4-0.
- VCU would break the ice and get on the board in the bottom of the fifth putting the score at 4-1, as Berezo set the table with a walk, advancing to second on a Davis single, and would score on a throwing error on a double play attempt to double-up Logan Farrar.
- Just as the Rams put one up, the Colonels posted a five-spot in the top of the sixth, highlighted by a two-out triple from Ben Fisher two score both Alvarez and Teegarden to extend their lead to 9-1.
- The Colonels tacked on one run in the eighth inning, as Alvarez recorded his third RBI on the day on a single to score Cole Warrenfeltz and making the score 10-1.
- The Rams added one more in the eighth, as Acker chopped a single up the middle to score Zac Ching from second after leading the single off with a walk. That would be it for VCU and put the score at 10-2.
- EKU would have the last stay on the day, as Alvarez would put his stamp on the game knocking a two-run home run to left center off of Michael Dailey in the top of the ninth to make the score 12-2.
FROM THE BULLPEN
- With two runs already in and no outs in the top of the third, Daane Berezo made a giving stop on a sharp hit from Ben Fisher, fielding the ball off the hop and finishing with a flip to shortstop Matt Davis at second to get the first out of the inning.
- Centerfielder Logan Farrar made two great diving plays, including one to end the top of the 8th inning.
- The Rams stranded a total of 11 base runners while on offense during the game, while EKU stranded 12 runners for a combined total of 22 players left on base over the course of the game by both sides.
- VCU grounded into a season-high four double plays in the game.
VCU will return to action tomorrow, Feb. 27 when they return to Brooks Field to take on South Dakota State University bright and early with first pitch at 10 a.m.