Score: VCU 3, Dayton 2 (21-25, 25-23, 25-18, 22-25, 15-11)
Location: Richmond, Va. (E.J. Wade Arena at the Stuart C. Siegel Center)
Records: VCU 25-2 (11-0 A-10), Dayton 18-7 (9-1)
The short story: Junior Julia Adler and sophomore Gina Tuzzolo combined for six kills in the fifth set tiebreaker to lift VCU to a marathon victory over Dayton in a battle for first place in the Atlantic 10 Conference Sunday at the E.J. Wade Arena. VCU has won 22 straight matches, and the Rams' victory snaps the Flyers' 45-match regular-season A-10 win streak.
- Senior outside hitter Alica Kandler blasted a match-high 17 kills and recorded 10 digs for the Rams, while sophomore Vicky Giommarini added 15 kills and 17 digs. Adler finished with 11 kills.
- VCU's front row produced 18 blocks Sunday. Junior middle Tori Baldwin was party to 10 blocks, while Tuzzolo contributed nine blocks to go with her nine kills.
- Senior libero Rebekah Strange supplied 23 digs and seven assists as VCU limited Dayton to a .139 hitting percentage.
- Amber Erhahon led the Flyers with 16 kills and seven blocks, while hitting .448.
- VCU hit .435 with just one hitting error in the fifth set.
- Back-to-back kills by Kandler and Adler midway through the fifth set gave the Rams a 7-5 lead. A short time later, a Tuzzolo kill and a Dayton ball handling error pushed the Rams to a 13-10 advantage. Two plays later, VCU sophomore middle Jasmin Sneed rose up and smacked a ball just inside the end line for a kill. Giommarini hammered a ball on the next play to clinch the 15-11 win.
- VCU looked like it would be headed to the locker room early. Dayton took the first set 25-21 and raced out to a 19-12 lead in the second. But four VCU blocks ignited a stunning 10-2 run that gave the Rams a 22-21 lead. Moments later Adler and Sneed combined on a block to sew up a 25-23 win for the Rams.
- The Rams outblocked Dayton 18.0-11.5.
- The Flyers entered the match leading the A-10 in hitting percentage, but had to work overtime for opportunities Sunday. Dayton's .139 hitting percentage is its lowest in an A-10 match this season.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- VCU is 4-0 in five-set matches this season.
- Dayton's wins in sets one and four were the first the Rams have surrendered in A-10 play this season. VCU is 33-2 in sets this year against A-10 opponents.
- VCU's 11 league wins are tied for its most since joining the Atlantic 10 in 2012.
- Dayton's last regular-season loss to an A-10 team was a 3-1 defeat at the hands of George Washington on Oct. 11, 2014.
VCU will begin the home stretch of the regular season at La Salle on Friday, Nov. 3 at 7 p.m.