Score: VCU 3, Fordham 0 (25-21, 25-21, 28-26)
Location: Bronx, N.Y. (Rose Hill Gymnasium)
Records: VCU 22-2 (8-0 A-10), Fordham 11-11 (3-6)
The short story: Junior middle blocker Tori Baldwin led four VCU players with double-digit kills as the Black and Gold cruised past Fordham in an offensive-minded contest. With the victory, VCU extended its win streak to 19 matches, the nation's longest active streak.
- Baldwin blasted 10 kills and hit .750 in the match. She also added four blocks on the defensive end.
- Senior Alica Kandler and sophomore Vicky Giommarini led all players with 11 kills apiece for VCU. They hit .345 and .269, respectively.
- Junior Julia Adler also got into the act offensively for VCU. She supplied seven kills on 11 swings and did not commit an error
- VCU committed just 13 hitting errors on the day.
- Senior libero Rebekah Strange dug nine balls and fired three more service aces.
- Oliva Fairchild and McKenna Lahr provided 10 kills each for Fordham.
- VCU hit .352 in the match, including .483 and .344 in the first and second sets, respectively.
- The Black and Gold weathered Fordham's biggest threat in the third set. In a back-and-forth affair, Fordham pushed ahead 24-23 on a Lahr kill, but VCU would fight off set point and eventually prevailed on back-to-back kills by Giommarini and Kandler in a 28-26 win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- VCU has swept all eight of its conference matches.
- VCU swept the season series with Fordham and improved to 6-3 all-time versus the Bronx Rams.
- The Black and Gold hit better than .300 in both meetings with Fordham this season.
- VCU has hit better than .300 in three of its past four matches.
VCU will head to Kingston, R.I. to meet Rhode Island on Sunday, Oct. 22 at noon.