Tournament: Jefferson Cup
Score: VCU 3, Ohio 0 (25-11, 25-15, 25-22)
Location: Charlottesville, Va. (Memorial Gymnasium)
Records: VCU 8-2, Ohio 6-4
The short story: Junior middle Tori Baldwin racked up five of her match-high eight blocks in the first two sets and VCU hit .321 to coast past Ohio Saturday morning at the Jefferson Cup in Charlottesville. The Rams have won five straight matches.
- VCU stormed out of the gate, hitting .500 in a tone-setting, 25-11 first set win.
- Baldwin loomed large for the second straight day. The 6-foot-3 middle spurred a front row that accounted for 15 blocks in the match. She also spiked seven kills in 11 swings and did not record an error.
- Senior outside Alica Kandler fired nine kills and hit .500.
- Sophomore Jasmin Sneed, the reigning Atlantic 10 Conference Defensive Player of the Week, supplied six blocks, while junior Julia Adler contributed five.
- On the back row, senior libero Rebekah Strange was credited with 10 digs for the Black and Gold.
- Tia Jimerson provided nine kills to the Ohio cause.
- VCU outblocked Ohio 15-3. The Bobcats were unable to overcome the Rams' dominance up front. Ohio hit -.019 in the match.
- The Rams served up eight aces (Ohio recorded just one) and outdug the Bobcats 36-32.
- VCU recorded just eight hitting errors in the match and hit .421 in the first two sets on the way to a 2-0 advantage.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- The Rams assisted on all 33 of their kills. Sophomore setter Dajah Ard handed out 19 assists.
- Baldwin is hitting .611 with 11 kills in two Jefferson Cup matches. She has not committed a hitting error in 18 swings.
- VCU's five-match win streak matches its best stretch since Sept. 10-17 of last season.
VCU will aim to complete a perfect weekend when it meets Howard Saturday at 5 p.m. in Charlottesville.