Aug 30, 2013
Scores: VCU 3, Florida Gulf Coast 0 (27-25-, 25-17, 25-22)
Location: Indianapolis, Ind. (IUPUI Gymnasium)
Tournament: IUPUI Hampton Inn Invitational
Records: VCU 1-0, Florida Gulf Coast 0-1
- VCU won its 2013 opener and first-year Head Coach Jody Rogers earned her first victory as a Ram in a 3-0 win over Florida Gulf Coast. Rogers took over the VCU program this year after 16 seasons at Division II Indianapolis.
- The Rams recorded 18.5 blocks - the fourth-most in school history – the stymie the Eagles' offensive attack. Florida Gulf Coast hit just .011 on the day.
- Freshman middle Nora Reed (11) and junior setter Cecilia Aragao (8) combined for 19 total blocks for VCU. Reed was credited with three blocks in the first set and seven in the second.
- Sophomore outside Romana Kriskova, an A-10 All-Rookie teamer in 2012, sparked the Rams' offense, hitting .323 with 15 kills. Kriskova blasted seven kills in nine attempts in the final set. Clemson sophomore transfer Kalah Jones added 10 kills. Jones hit .429 with seven kills in the final two sets.
- Aragao picked up her first double-double (assists-digs) of the season with 27 assists and 10 digs.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- VCU's 18.5 blocks are the most by the Rams since the Black and Gold registered 20.0 on Nov. 6, 2010 against Towson.
- While Friday's win was Rogers' first at VCU, it was the 407th of her NCAA volleyball career.
- The Rams have won their season-opener in three consecutive seasons.
- VCU returns to action in the IUPUI Hampton Inn Invitational with a pair of matches Saturday. First, the Rams take on the host Jaguars of IUPUI at 12:30 p.m. The Rams conclude their weekend with Illinois State at 4 p.m. VCU topped ISU 3-1 in its 2012 season-opener at Ball State.