Location: Richmond, Va. (Verizon Wireless Arena at the Stuart C. Siegel Center)
Set Scores: VCU 25-14, 25-19, 25-12, 25-21
Alumni Team: Shahrzad Firouzabadian, Cat Juson, Ivana Rich, Jessica Ojukwu, Mariel Frey, Meghan Boyle, Erin Burnette, Lindi Riffe
- Freshman Romana Kriskova provided a match-high 13 kills and added three blocks in her VCU debut.
- Senior Jasmine Waters, who set a VCU single-season record for blocks last season, led all players with six blocks Sunday.
- Senior Kristin Boyd and redshirt freshman Janelle Sykes each provided eight kills.
- Sophomore Amanda Love served up on of her three aces to spark a 6-0 VCU run in the first set on the way to a 25-14 win.
- The Alumni team stormed to a 6-1 lead in the second set, but Kriskova led a 7-1 run with three kills and a block. VCU also staged a 7-0 burst later in the set to turn an 18-14 deficit into a 21-18 lead. The Rams held on for a 25-19 win.
- Redshirt freshman Uzoamaka Ibeh blasted three kills in extensive action in the third set on the way to a 25-12, wire-to-wire win.
"I'm excited about the technique work that we've done and how they were able to transfer that to the game. I really like seeing that. I still think we're making too many errors on offense. Hesitation, communication pieces that need to come around. Obviously, there's a lot we need to work on, but there was a lot of great things that I saw in some kids that did some stuff I wasn't expecting."
"Romana Kriskova, we knew she was a really solid player, she just didn't hardly make any mistakes, dug a lot of balls. She really did a nice job of hitting, but moreso she set the block well. I watched her just grow, get into our system, understand what we were doing and be able to execute within it. And having somebody that can hit out of the back row like that allowed us to keep our middle in front and pull the blockers and oftentimes she was hitting with no block out there and it's easier to score with no block."
"I think Cecilia Aragao did an outstanding job. She took the young kids in the last set, kept them under control, didn't let them get rattled, kept encouraging them, kept finding ways for them to be successful and really worked hard on some really bad balls to give our hitters something to swing at."
"It's fun to see Uzoamaka Ibeh grow so much. What a difference from last year. When she's there and everything's together, every time, she's over the block. She contacts the ball so high. That was really exciting to see because she's going to keep growing."
"All in all, for our first time on the court, I'm relatively happy."
-- Head Coach James Finley
VCU kicks off the 2012 season at the Ball State Invitational Aug. 24-25 in Muncie, Ind. The Rams will meet Illinois State on Friday, Aug. 24 at 4:30 p.m. in their season opener.