Meet: Darius Dixon Memorial Invitational (Day two of two)
Location: Lynchburg, Va.
Results: Final Results
The Short Story: On the second day of the Darius Dixon Memorial Invitational VCU's women's team looked to be in full form as Senior Taylor McCormick set a school record in triple jump and Ashley Greenlee won the 500-meter. With several other top-five finishes the Rams positioned themselves well going into the upcoming Atlantic 10 Indoor Championships.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Senior Taylor McCormick was the top finisher among all attached athletes in the triple jump. McCormick, who sits atop the Atlantic 10 in triple jump, set a new school record with a mark of 12.33m. McCormick will also look to repeat as the conference champion in the event two weeks from now.
- Ashley Greenlee claimed first place in the 500-meter out of a field of 17 competitors. The Hampton, Va. native raced to a 1:15.52 time.
- Junior Latrice Morris dashed to a fourth place finish in the 60-meter finals with a 7.65 time. Morris currently sits at second place in the conference in that event. Sophomore Alexis Willis also advanced out of the preliminaries and placed eighth in the finals. Morris also placed fourth in the 200-meter with a 24.95.
- In the 400-meter sophomore Kayla Smith placed second overall, finishing the race in 55.50. Smith won the event at last year's indoor championships as a freshman.
- In the 3,000-meter senior Courtney Holleran recorded a personal best 10:32.81. Her effort earned her a fifth place finish.
- Makayla McGowan claimed fourth in the women's shot put with a 14.10m mark.
- VCU's 4x400-meter relay team also performed well by taking third overall and nearly matching their season best with a 3:50.83.
VCU will compete in the the Atlantic 10 Track & Field Indoor Championships taking place on Feb. 17 and 18. The Championships are taking place in Kingston, R.I. VCU's women's team won the meet last year, taking home their second conference championship in two years.