Meet: Atlantic 10 Outdoor Track and Field Championships
Location: Amherst, Mass.
Results: Atlantic 10 Championships Day One Results
The Short Story: Day one of the Atlantic 10 Outdoor Track and Field Championships saw eight Rams qualify for the finals in their events. It also saw Ann Sheehy break the school record in the 400-meter hurdles and Delaney Savedge break the school record in the 3,000-meter steeplechase. The Rams are currently seventh as a team out of 12 teams.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Latrice Morris posted the fastest time in the 100-meter dash prelims with a time of 11.85 seconds. She advances to the final along with Alexis Willis, who posted a time of 12.05 seconds.
- Savedge cruised to a third-place finish in the 3,000-meter steeplechase with a time of 10:54.50. She was the fastest freshman in the group. It is a personal record for Savedge and a new school record.
- Nichelle Scott won her heat in the 800-meter run with a time of 2:09.32 to advance to the final.
- De'Nisha Smith qualified for the final of the 100-meter hurdles. She posted the third-fastest time with a time of 14.47 seconds.
- Three qualified for the final of the 400-meter hurdles, with Sheehy leading the charge with a personal and school record time of 59.88 seconds. Smith and Erika Coleman also qualified, posting times of 1:00.77 and 1:02.01, respectively. Smith also broke the previous school record with her time.
- Christina Solomon placed fifth in the high jump with a leap of 1.65 meters.
- Alexis Willis qualified for the final of the 200-meter dash with a time of 24.61 seconds.
- Khoi Banks and Alliyah Stevens each placed in the top eight in the long jump. Banks leaped to a mark of 5.80 meters while Stevens hit a mark of 5.64 meters.
VCU competes in day two of the Atlantic 10 Championships tomorrow, Sunday, May 7.