Meets: UTSA Roadrunners Invitational | Fred Hardy Invitational
Location: San Antonio, Texas | Richmond, Va.
Results: Roadrunners Invitational Day One Results | Fred Hardy Invitational Day One Results
The Short Story: VCU split the squad this week, with some Rams going to San Antonio, Texas for the UTSA Roadrunners Invitational and the rest heading over to the Fred Hardy Invitational at the University of Richmond. Sakia Konin shined in her first heptathlon performance since last ourdoor season while Camora Sanders showed strength in the shot put. VCU is third in team scoring out of seven teams after day one.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Konin scored 4223 points in the heptathlon to finish second in the event. It is the most points Konin has ever scored in the heptathlon, crushing her former personal best by 569 points. The sophomore set personal records in the 100-meter hurdles, high jump, shot put, and javelin.
- Sanders placed sixth in the shot put with a mark of 14.01 meters, a new outdoor personal record. Her previous outdoor best was 13.35 meters, a mark she hit at last year's Atlantic 10 Outdoor Track and Field Championships.
- Makayla McGowan, competing in her first outdoor shot put performance as a Ram, threw the shot put 13.36 meters.
FRED HARDY INVITATIONAL
- Judith White placed second second in the 3,000-meter steeplechase with a personal record setting time of 11:36.45.
- Grace Giampietro vaulted to a season-best height of 3.05 meters in her second outdoor event as a Ram.
- Taunysha Bailey set a new personal record in the 400-meter hurdles with a time of 1:10.35. Her previous best was 1:10.52.
- Marian Osafo leaped to a mark of 11 meters in the triple jump.
VCU will continue to compete at day two of the UTSA Roadrunners Invitational and the Fred Hardy Invitational tomorrow, March 25.
COACH TUSSING ON DAY ONE AT THE ROADRUNNERS INVITATIONAL
"I was really excited by all of our throwers performances today. Not all of them had PR performances in the meet but all showed higher levels of execution during the day. Camora's PR in the shot put is just the tip of the iceberg. She is doing great things consistently now and I'm excited for every time she will get to compete this season. Drew breaking the school record in the javelin today was a long time in the making. Now that we have gotten that crucial first step out of the way a little of the pressure is gone and now we can push forward for higher accolades."
COACH SAGE ON DAY ONE AT THE ROADRUNNERS INVITATIONAL
"We put in two solid days of work at the track. Sophomore Sakia Konin came ready to compete, as she set four PRs in an awesome effort in the heptathlon. When consistency and improvement come together amazing things can happen. I'm excited to see what the rest of the group will do in the remaining days here at UTSA."
COACH DAN JOHNSON ON DAY ONE AT THE FRED HARDY INVITATIONAL
"We had a nice meet today at Richmond with a number of distance runners achieving season and personal bests. It will be great to see how the rest of the team competes tomorrow."