Meet: Darius Dixon Memorial Inivtational
Location: Lynchburg, Va.
Results: Darius Dixon Memorial Invitational Final Results
The Short Story: VCU was led by freshman Kayla Smith, who finished first in the 400-meter run with an ECAC qualifying time of 55.95. Sophomore Camora Sanders shined in the shot put, finishing third with a throw of 13.45 meters.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Smith's first place time of 55.95 not only qualified her for ECAC, it also set the meet and facility record. Smith now holds the third-fastest Atlantic 10 time in the event.
- Sanders tossed her way to a new personal record in the shot put, achieving a mark of 13.45 meters. The mark is a personal record for Sanders.
- Junior Nichelle Scott achieved an ECAC qualifying time of 1:15.45 in the 500-meter run and crushed the previous meet record by over two seconds. Scott finished second in the event.
- Junior Taylor McCormick finished first in the triple jump, leaping to a mark of 11.89 meters. The mark is an ECAC qualifier.
- Senior Christina Solomon finished in a tie for third in the high jump, achieving a mark of 1.65 meters, her personal best of the season.
- Sophomore Latrice Morris set a time of 7.76 seconds in the 60-meter dash preliminaries. She and freshman Alexis Willis finished with times good enough to qualify for the finals, with Willis achieving a time of 7.72.
- Morris and Willis also finished sixth and seventh, respectively, in the 200-meter run. Morris finished with a time of 25.19 seconds and Willis put up a time of 25.20 seconds.
- Junior Latasha Williams finished 11th in the shot put, achieving an indoor personal best with a mark of 12.35 meters.
- Junior Amiaya Carey tied her personal best for the season in the high jump, hitting a mark of 1.60 meters.
- Junior De'Nisha Smith finished 12th in the 60-meter hurdles preliminaries with a time of 8.98 seconds.
- Freshman Khoi Banks set a new personal record in the 60-meter hurdles preliminaries with a time of 9.13 seconds.
- Freshman Ashley Brown completed the mile in 5:08.93 and was the first Ram to cross the line in the event. Brown also set a PR with her time and her time is currently a top-20 Atlantic 10 time.
- Junior Courtney Holleran and senior Emily Dyke finished the mile run together, finishing eigth and ninth, respectively. Holleran ran a personal record time of 5:15.40 while Dyke ran a time of 5:18.03.
VCU heads north to Staten Island, N.Y. to compete in the Villanova Open on Saturday, Feb. 4.
COACH RILEY ON THE WOMEN'S EFFORT
"Our short sprinters did well and our longer sprinters still have some things to work on. Overall, it was a good meet with a meet record in the women's 400."