Meet: Virginia Tech Hokie Invitational
Location: Blacksburg, Va.
Results: Hokie Invitational Final Results
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The distance medley relay team consisting of Ashley Brown, Ashley Greenlee, Nichelle Scott, and Emily Dyke placed first in the event with an Atlantic 10-best time of 12:02.66. The time is the second-fastest distance medley relay time in VCU history.
- Freshman Makayla McGowan threw the shot put 13.35 meters to earn herself ninth in the event.
- The A team 4x400-meter relay team (Kayla Smith, Candice James, Taylor Watkins, Latrice Morris) finished fourth with a time of 3:50.17. The time is the second-best Atlantic 10 time.
- Freshman Delaney Savedge finished third in the 5,000-meter run with a time 18:25.36. It is a personal record for the freshman.
- Junior Taylor McCormick finished eighth in the triple jump with a mark of 11.97 meters.
- Junior Amiaya Carey hit a mark of 1.59 meters in the high jump. She placed seventh in the event.
- Junior De'Nisha Smith leapt a length of 5.36 meters in the long jump. Smith finished sixth in the event.
- Freshman Janelle Cheatham finished just behind Smith, earning seventh in the long jump with a mark of 5.35 meters.
- Sophomores Candice James and Taylor Watkins completed the 400-meter run in 59.14 and 59.24 seconds, respectively.
- Freshman Janelle Cheatham leaped a personal record 5.35 meters in the long jump.
- Last night in the 600-meter run, sophomore Ashley Greenlee finished third with a time of 1:34.69. It is a personal record for Greenlee.
VCU returns to the track next Saturday, Jan. 28 to compete in the Darius Dixon Memorial Invitational in Lynchburg, Va.
"The level of competition was increased this week and our women responded well to that. We showed that we can compete with any team around the country and have success."