PORTER, WILLIAMS HIGHLIGHT BUSY WEEKEND FOR RAMS
Event: Kentucky Relays – Lexington, Ky.
Event: Morgan State Invitational – Baltimore, Md.
The Short Story: Senior Jaleesa Williams and junior Kiara Porter both took home victories to highlight a busy weekend for VCU women's track & field, in which the Rams sent student-athletes to the Kentucky Relays and the Morgan State Invitational. Williams took home three medals on the weekend (discus, hammer and shot put), while Porter took home two medals (400m and 4x100).
- Porter took home gold in the 400-meter dash in a time of 52.92 seconds, equaling the time she ran earlier this season at the Florida Relays. The time still stands as the 10th fastest in the NCAA Eastern Qualifying Division.
- The 4x100 relay team of Alexis Stroman, Jessica Ewing, Verna Hilaire-Lee, and Porter grabbed the bronze medal in the event with their time of 46.23 seconds.
- Freshman De'Nisha Smith continued her strong rookie campaign in the 400 hurdles just missing the school record she set previously by a half second with a bronze medal effort of 1:01.86. Jazmine Wright battled in close behind in eighth place in a time of 1:04.22.
- In the final event of the day the 4x4 team of Imoni Anderson, Porter, Niaimani Aduma, and Smith combined to run 3:46.92 as they finished in fourth place on the day.
Morgan State Invitational
- Williams grabbed one of each three medals on the weekend. Her gold medal effort came in the discus throw where she won with a throw of 155'8. In the hammer throw, she took home silver with a throw of 149'7. Finally, she grabbed bronze in the shot put with a heave of 44'5.25.
- Freshman Emily Dyke moved into third place all-time at VCU in the steeple chase with her bronze medal time of 11:33.07.
- Brianna Krumholz continued her improvements on the year, this time dipping under 2:14 in the 800 for the first time ever with her time of 2:13.47, which resulted in her taking fourth place in the event.
- Freshman Christina Solomon took fourth place in the high jump with her clearance of 5'4.25.
- Briana Ratchford grabbed fifth place in the javelin with her throw of 116'6.
- Sarah Fulgham's long jump effort of 18'0.25 carried her to sixth place in the event.
- Jada Roberts had a PR day in the hammer hitting 134'4 to finish in eighth place and take the number 10 spot in school history in the event.
- The reduced women's team finished sixth of 25 teams with a score of 47 points. Morgan state won the meet with 95 points.
- VCU will head to the prestigious Penn Relays next week in its last event prior to the 2014 Atlantic 10 Outdoor Championships.