MEET: New Captain's Classic and Multi-Events
THE BASICS: Members of the VCU Track and Field Program also competed in the New Captain's Classic and Multi-Events at Christopher Newport University in Newport News, Va. on Saturday and Sunday.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Sophomore Niema Eaves placed 10th with a season-best run of 2:25.27 in the 800-meters.
- In the 5000-meter race, junior Riley Louden set a personal record time of 21:02.59, finishing in fifth place.
- Junior Jazmine Wright set a personal-best with a run of 1:06.22 in the 400-meter hurdles.
- In the long jump, Sarah Fulgham leaped a season-best 5.55-meters to win the event.
- Junior Chaneka Perry and senior Jennifer McAvoy placed first and third, respectively, in the triple jump. Perry recorded a season-best of 12.25-meters, while McAvoy posted a season-best leap of 11.37-meters.
- VCU had two top seven finishers in the heptathlon. Leading the way was junior Nneka Ogwu, who placed fifth with a personal record score of 3,783 points. In sixth place was sophomore Amani Harper, who scored 3,661 points.
- In the shot put, junior Precious Nwala placed fourth with a personal record toss of 11.63-meters.
- Freshman Jada Roberts finished seventh in the discus throw with a toss of 30.63-meters.
- The Rams placed two in the top seven in the hammer throw. Nwala placed fourth with a personal record throw of 40.21-meters and Roberts finished sixth throwing a personal-best 37.82-meters.
VCU concludes the regular season at the Penn Relays next weekend, April 25-26. The Atlantic 10 Championships are set for May 4-5 at Charlotte in Charlotte, N.C.