Event: Florida Relays - Gainesville, Fla.
The Short Story: VCU continued to perform at an elite level against some of the best track and field programs in the country on day two of the Florida Relays in Gainesville, Fla. on Saturday.
How It Happened
- Junior Jaleesa Williams continued her strong weekend with a 12th place finish in the hammer throw. Her best throw of the day was 49.27-meters (161'8").
- In the shot put, junior Jessica Williams placed 11th with a throw of 13.51-meters (44'4"). She finished a spot ahead of her sister, Jaleesa, who had a toss of 13.48-meter (44'2"), placing 12th.
- VCU's 1600 sprint melody team of freshman Verna Hilaire-Lee, senior Dionna Hayes, junior Nneka Ogwu, and freshman Brianna Krumholz finished ninth in the race. They ran a time of 4:04.29.
- The 4x100-meter relay of Hayes, sophomores Kiara Porter and Nicole Grasty, and freshman Carina Peter, ran a season-best 45.76 seconds. They placed 15th out of the 33 teams.
- In the 4x400-meter the team of junior Niaimani Aduma, Grasty, sophomore Amethyst Polk and Porter, ran a season-best 3:43.92. They placed 24th out 48 teams.
What They're Saying
Head Coach Jon Riley
- "I am pleased with the effort out athletes displayed this weekend against the caliber of competition we faced."
VCU returns to action next weekend, Saturday, April 13 at the George Mason Invitational in Fairfax, Va.