MEET: Ram Invite (Richmond, Va. – Sports Backers Stadium)
THE BASICS: The VCU Women's Track team opened the outdoor season with its annual home meet the Ram Invite on Saturday at Sports Backers Stadium.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- VCU had three top 10 finishers in the Women's 100-meter dash. Leading the way was sophomore Kiara Porter, who won the event with a time of 11.82 seconds. Freshman Carina Peter finished fifth with a time of 12.21 seconds and sophomore Nicole Grasty finished sixth with a time of 12.27 seconds.
- Porter also won the 200-meter race with a time of 24.35 second run. Senior Dionna Hayes placed fifth with a run of 25.77 seconds and freshman Verna Hilaire-Lee was seventh with a time of 25.87 seconds.
- Sophomores Amethyst Polk (57.18 seoconds) and Jazmine Wright (58.54 personal record) finished second and third, respectively in the 400-meter dash.
- In the 800-meter race, sophomore Niema Eaves placed eighth with a time of 2:26.16.
- Sophomore Alexis Stroman won the 100-meter hurdles with a personal record time of 14.09 seconds. Junior Chantal Luedeke placed fourth with a time of 14.60 seconds.
- VCU top two 4x100-meter relay squads finished second and third in the race. VCU-A finished with a time of 46.82 seconds and VCU-B finished with a time of 48.23 seconds.
- In the 4x400-meter relay, VCU two relay teams finished third and fourth. VCU-A ran a 3:58.10 and VCU-B was 4:01.81.
- Junior Shanita Glenn finished third and the high jump with a jump of 1.55-meters. Classmate Megan Simpson finished tied for sixth with a jump of 1.55-meters.
- Peter finished third in her outdoor debut in the long jump. Her best jump of the day was 5.55-meters.
- Senior Jennifer McAvoy placed third in the triple jump. Her best leap was 11.66-meters.
- In the women's discus throw, junior Jessica Williams won the event. Her best throw of the day was 46.90-meters.
- The Rams had two top 10 finishers in the hammer throw. Junior Jalessa Williams placed fourth with a throw of 46.67-meters, while sister Jessica finished seventh and had a personal record throw of 42.97-meters.
- Freshman Briana Ratchford won the women's javelin throw. Her best toss of the day was 33.21-meters.
- Before the meet VCU honored its three women's seniors Princess Bethea, Dionna Hayes and Jennifer McAvoy (picuted right).
VCU returns to action Saturday, March 23 at the Virginia Invitational in Charlottesville, Va.