Track & Field Opens Slate at Christopher Newport Holiday Open
MEET: CNU Holiday Open (Newport News, Va.)
THE BASICS: The VCU Men's and Women's Track team had a strong showing in their first meet of the season at the Christopher Newport Holiday Open in Newport News, Va. The Rams had nine athletes finish in the top five of their respective events, including freshman Lindsey Bradshaw and Brenden Leavitt winning events.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Bradshaw won the 5000m race with a time of 21:10.57, in her first indoor track meet.
- VCU had two top five performers in the women's high jump. Juniors Megan Simpson and Shanita Glenn finished second and fourth, respectively. Each had jumps of 1.54m.
- Junior Justine Dutton finished the pole vault in fourth place. Her best jump of the day was 3.35m.
- On the men's side, senior Alex Hinton finished in second place with a 1:22.82 in the 600m race. Classmate Kyle Sipple finished in fourth place one second off of Hinton's pace, while sophomore Anthony Green finished eighth with a time of time of 1:24.82.
- Sophomore Mohamed Adam paced the Rams in the 800m race. He finished in third place with a time of 2:00.36.
- In the mile, VCU had three top 10 finishers. Leavitt (4:17.81 personal record) won the event, while sophomore Khalid Khamis (4:28.22) and junior Corey Scott (4:29.23 PR) finished eighth and ninth in the event.
- Sophomore Sam Hush finished in fourth place in the 1500m race. He ran a 15:51.40.
"The athletes all worked really hard today at our season opener. Today was a good chance for our athletes to measure how all of our hard work and training are going."
-Assistant Track and Field Coach Allyson Thomas
The Rams will break for the holidays until January. Their next meet will be Jan. 5 at the George Mason Invitational in Fairfax, Va.