Score: VCU 5, Liberty 2
Location: Richmond, Va. (Thalhimer Tennis Center)
Records: VCU 5-2, Liberty 2-4
The short story: After losing the doubles point, VCU rallied back to defeat Liberty powered by strong singles play.
- Paola Exposito Diaz-Delgado and Kanako Yano defeated Grace Hashinguchi and Nasha Ghajar of Liberty to earn VCU's only doubles victory of the day
- Marina Alcaide Bakkari jump started VCU's strong singles play by defeating Ashley Bongart in two sets
- Yano defeated Hashinguchi in two sets, only allowing two games against her
- In No. 5 singles, Melissa Ifidzhen defeated Liberty's Alexandra Almborg in two sets, earning VCU its third point of the match
- Diaz-Delgado capped off the VCU win after defeating Lara Soares of Liberty in two sets
VCU 5 Liberty 2
Order of Finish - 1, 2, 3
1. Paola Exposito Diaz-Delgado (VCU) def. Lara Soares (LU) 6-3, 7-6(6)
2. Maria Medina (LU) def. Anna Rasmussen (VCU) 5-7, 6-1, 6-3
3. Marina Alcaide Bakkari (VCU) def. Ashley Bongart (LU) 6-2, 6-1
4. Kanako Yano (VCU) def. Grace Hashiguchi (LU) 6-1, 6-1
5. Melissa Ifidzhen (VCU) def. Alexandra Almborg (LU) 6-3, 7-5
6. Noumea Witmus (VCU) def. Anna Dollar (LU) 6-2, 6-4
Order of Finish - 3, 4, 5, 1, 2, 6
HEAD COACH PAUL KOSTIN
"We started out slow and lost the doubles point but came back and won five of six singles matches. I'm proud of the way the girls handled themselves. Overall, we played well."
VCU will remain home and face off against Howard on Sunday, Feb. 17 at 4 p.m.