Scores: VCU 3, Maryland 4
Location: Richmond, Va. (Thalhimer Tennis Center)
Records: VCU 10-5, Maryland 10-1
The short story: After trailing 2-0, VCU made a late push but was unable to overcome the Maryland Terrapins on Saturday afternoon at the Thalhimer Tennis Center. Freshman Gabriela Araujo recorded a point in singles play, along with sophomore Janina Braun and senior Darya Berezhnaya.
- Maryland jumped to an early 2-0 lead after taking the doubles point as well as the first singles point on the sixth court.
- Araujo recorded the first point for VCU and brought the Rams within one by defeating Cassandre Thebault in consecutive sets, 6-4, 6-2. She now holds an 11-11 record thus far.
- The Terrapins then took a 3-1 lead with a win on the third court, but once again the Rams pulled within one with Braun's win on the first court.
- Braun defeated Alexandra Stenova in consecutive sets, 6-3, 6-4. The sophomore is now 18-6 overall this season.
- Senior Darya Berezhnaya tied the match at three a piece by defeating Katsiaryna Yemelyaneka in three sets. The veteran holds a 17-5 record this year.
- After dropping the first set on the second court, sophomore Anna Rasmussen made a late push but was unable to overcome Maryland's Ekaterina Tour for the match point. Rasmussen holds an overall record of 13-7 this season.
1- Ekaterina Tour/Caroline Williams (Maryland) def. Janina Braun/Anna Rasmussen, 6-2
2- Darya Berezhnaya/Noumea Witmus (VCU) vs. Alexandra Stanova/Katsiaryna Yemelyaneka, 4-5
3- Cassandre Thebault/Arnelle Sullivan (Maryland) def. Magda Aubets/Gabriela Araujo, 6-2
Order of finish: 3, 1
1- Janina Braun (VCU) def. Alexandra Stenova, 6-3, 6-4
2- Ekaterina Tour (Maryland) def. Anna Rasmussen, 6-4, 7-5
3- Arnelle Sullivan (Maryland) def. Magda Aubets, 6-2, 6-0
4- Darya Berezhnaya (VCU) def. Katsiaryna Yemelyaneka,6-3, 4-6, 6-0
5- Gabriela Araujo (VCU) def. Cassandre Thebault, 6-4, 6-2
6- Caroline Williams (Maryland) def. Noumea Witmus, 6-0, 6-3
Order of finish: 6, 5, 3, 1, 4, 2
The Rams are back on Saturday, March 25 when they travel to Murfreesboro, Tenn. to face Memphis in a neutral match at 11 a.m.