Scores: VCU 0, #26 Florida International
Location: Miami, Fla. (FIU Tennis Courts)
Records: VCU 10-3, Florida International 12-1
The short story: VCU fell on the road to the Florida International Panthers, ranked 26th by the ITA Sunday afternoon at the FIU tennis courts. The Panthers earned the doubles point to jump to an early 1-0 lead and won three consecutive singles matches to secure a 4-0 win.
- Florida International's Ulyana Grib put the Panthers ahead 2-0. She defeated freshman Gabriela Araujo on the fifth court.
- Sophomore Magda Aubets fell to Mina Markovic on the third court, and the Panthers took a 3-0 lead.
- Sophomore Janina Braun faced Andrea Lazaro, ranked 28th by the ITA, on the first court. Lazaro took the match in consecutive sets to secure the win, but Braun continues to lead the team with 17 wins.
- Senior Darya Berezhnaya got off to a strong start on the fourth court where she faced Nina Nagode. She won the first set and was leading in the second, but was unable to finish the set after the Panthers secured the match deciding point on the first court.
- Berezhnaya remains second on the team with 16 wins.
1- Andrea Lazaro/Nina Nagode (FIU) vs. Anna Rasmussen/Janina Braun,4-3, unfinished
2- Maryna Veksler/Ulyana Grib (FIU) def. Noumea Witmus/Darya Berezhnaya, 6-1
3- Mina Markovic/Gabriela Ferreira (FIU) def. Magda Aubets/Gabriela Araujo, 6-2
Order of finish: 2, 3
1- #28 Andrea Lazaro (FIU) def. Janina Braun, 6-1, 6-1
2- Maryna Veksler (FIU) vs. Anna Rasmussen, 6-4, 3-3, unfinished
3- Mina Markovic (FIU) def. Magda Aubets, 6-1, 6-1
4- Nina Nagode (FIU) vs. Darya Berezhnaya, 4-6, 2-4, unfinished
5- Ulyana Grib (FIU) def. Gabriela Araujo, 6-1, 6-0
6- Gabriela Ferreira (FIU) vs. Noumea Witmus, 6-2, 5-4, unfinished
Order of finish: 5, 3, 1
The Rams are currently ranked 49th by the ITA and will return to the Thalhimer Tennis Center to host Oklahoma on Wednesday, March 15 at 2 p.m. The Sooners are currently ranked 47th by the ITA.