Scores: VCU 5, JMU 2
Location: Richmond, Va. (Thalhimer Tennis Center)
Records: VCU 6-1, JMU 4-2
The short story: VCU rolled past James Madison Saturday afternoon at the Thalhimer Tennis Center. Led by sophomore Janina Braun, the Rams got off to a hot start to win the doubles point and never looked back. Braun picked up yet another win in singles and doubles play. She is now an impeccable 7-0 in dual singles matches and holds an overall singles record of 13-1.
- Braun and classmate Anna Rasmussen got the party started for the Rams. The pair defeated JMU's Rachel Nelson and Rebeca Harris 6-3. The two have eight doubles wins thus far this year.
- Moments later senior Darya Berezhnaya and freshman Noumea Witmus downed Timea Guibe and Jona Roka 6-4 to earn the lone doubles point.
- Rasmussen won the first singles match and would put The Black and Gold up by two points. She is now 5-2 in dual matches this season.
- Braun earned the next point in a hard fought battle with Rachel Nelson on the first court. After dropping the first set 3-6, she bounced back in the next two sets to take a commanding 6-1, 6-3 win.
- Berezhnaya contributed a point to VCU's prominent lead as well. She is now 4-1 in dual matches this season.
- After JMU earned their first point of the match, sophomore Magda Aubets collected a win to put the Rams ahead 5-1. The Spaniard holds a 9-5 overall singles record this season.
1- Janina Braun/Anna Rasmussen (VCU) def. Rachel Nelson/Rebecca Harris, 6-3
2- Darya Berezhnaya/Noumea Witmus (VCU) def. Timea Guibe/Jona Roka, 6-4
3- Magda Aubets/Gabriela Araujo (VCU) vs. Emma Petersen/Kimmy Herrock (JMU), 6-5
Order of finish: 1, 2
1- Janina Braun (VCU) def. Rachel Nelson, 3-6, 6-1, 6-3
2- Anna Rasmussen (VCU) def. Timea Guibe, 6-3, 6-1
3- Magda Aubets (VCU) def. Emma Petersen, 2-6, 6-4, 6-1
4- Darya Berezhnaya (VCU) def. Jona Roka, 6-4, 2-6, 6-1
5- Kimmy Herrock (JMU) def. Noumea Witmus, 4-6, 6-4, 6-2
6- Dylan Owens (JMU) def. Gabriela Araujo, 7-6 (6), 6-1
Order of finish: 2, 1, 4, 5, 3, 6
The Rams will continue their home stand on Sunday, Feb. 19 when they host Dartmouth at 10 a.m.