RAMS TAKE HOME VCU'S FIRST-EVER ATLANTIC 10 TITLE WITH 4-0 DEFEAT OF XAVIER
- Score: VCU 4, Xavier 0
- Records: VCU (22-4), Xavier (20-6)
- Location: Boar's Head Sports Club - Charlottesville, Va.
- The Short Story: For the third time in the past four years, VCU Women's Tennis earned the title of conference champions. With a 4-0 defeat of Xavier on Sunday afternoon, the Black & Gold claimed the first-ever Atlantic 10 Championship in VCU history. The Rams didn't lose a point all weekend long, extending their win streak to 13 straight matches.
How It Happened
- Junior Olga Terteac and sophomore Salome Kvitashvili got VCU's momentum started with a 8-2 win at the third doubles spot, followed closely behind by the freshmen duo of Olga Barscheuskaya and Yukako Noi, who wrapped up the doubles point for the Rams with an 8-4 at the top spot in the lineup.
- Senior Josefin Hjertquist pushed VCU's lead to 2-0 with a 6-3, 6-2 win over Xavier's Kally Alkire at the third spot in the singles lineup.
- Terteac brought the Black & Gold within one point of the title with a 6-1, 6-3 over Andrea Wolf at #5 singles.
- Noi clinched the championship for the Rams, taking down Alex Brinker, 6-4, 6-4 at the second spot in the singles lineup.
VCU 4, Xavier 0
1. Katie Pleiman (XU) vs. Cindy Chala (VCU) 7-5, 1-2, DNF
2. Yukako Noi (VCU) def. Alex Brinker (XU) 6-4, 6-4
3. Josefin Hjertquist (VCU) def. Kally Alkire (XU) 6-3, 6-2
4. Salome Kvitashvili (VCU) vs. Daniella Patton (XU) 7-5, 3-3, DNF
5. Olga Terteac (VCU) def. Andrea Wolf (XU) 6-1, 6-3
6. Lizzie Oosterbaan (XU) vs. Olga Barscheheuskaya (VCU) 7-5, 1-4
Order of Finish: 3, 5, 2
1. Olga Barscheheuskaya/Yukako Noi (VCU) def. Kally Alkire/Katie Pleiman (XU) 8-4
2. Josefin Hjertquist/Cindy Chala (VCU) vs. Daniella Patton/Ally Westling (XU) 7-2, DNF (VCU lead)
3. Olga Terteac/Salome Kvitashvili (VCU) def. Alex Brinker/Andrea Wolf (XU) 8-2
Order of Finish: 3, 1
- VCU will have three weeks off before heading to the NCAA Tournament. The regional dates and locations will be announced on Monday, May 5.