RAMS WIN THRILLER OVER WILLIAM & MARY, 4-3, FOR NINTH STRAIGHT WIN
- Score: VCU 4, William & Mary 3
- Records: VCU (18-4), William & Mary (14-5)
- Location: Thalhimer Tennis Center at the HDL, Inc. Athletic Village - Richmond, Va.
- The Short Story: Sophomore Cindy Chala rallied to win a three-set thriller over William & Mary's Maria Belaya and clinch VCU's ninth straight win, a 4-3 victory over the Tribe, on a beautiful Tuesday afternoon in Richmond. Classmate Salome Kvitashvili and junior Olga Terteac were huge on the afternoon winning both their doubles and singles matches.
How It Happened
- After the two teams split the first two doubles matches, freshman Olga Barscheuskaya and junior Daria Yakauleva battled back-and-forth with the duo of Belaya and Leeza Nemchinov, who entered the match as the eighth-best in the country, according to the latest ITA rankings. The Tribe's talented duo came out just on top, 8-6, to take the first point of the match.
- Behind straight set victories from Terteac and Barscheuskaya, VCU would quickly take a 2-1 advantage in the match.
- William & Mary responded with a win at the third singles spot, but Kvitashvili brought the Black & Gold within one point of the victory by toppling the Tribe's Jeltje Loomans 6-4, 7-6 (10).
- The final two matches would go to three sets, with Chala rallying from down 5-2 in the third set for a 6-7 (3), 6-2, 7-5 win and secured VCU's ninth straight victory.
#39 VCU 4, #41 William and Mary 3
No. 1 – #75 Cindy Chala (VCU) def. #124 Maria Belaya (W&M) – 6-7 (3), 6-2, 7-5
No. 2 – Leeza Nemchinov (W&M) def. Yukako Noi (VCU) – 6-7 (2), 6-4, 2-1, retire
No. 3 – Anik Cepeda (W&M) def. Josefin Hjertquist (VCU) – 6-3, 6-4
No. 4 – Salome Kvitashvili (VCU) def. Jeltje Loomans (W&M) – 6-4, 7-6 (10)
No. 5 – Olga Terteac (VCU) def. Hope Johnson (W&M) – 6-4, 6-1
No. 6 – Olga Barscheuskaya (VCU) def. Sydney Smith (W&M) – 6-2, 6-2
Finishing Order: 5, 6, 3, 4, 1*, 2
No. 1 – Belaya/Nemchinov (W&M) def. Baruscheuskaya/Yakauleva (VCU) – 8-6
No. 2 – Cepeda/Johnson (W&M) def. Chala/Hjertquist (VCU) – 8-3
No. 3 – Terteac/Kvitashvili (VCU) def. Loomans/Smith (W&M) – 8-4
Finishing Order: 2, 3, 1*